Friday, June 11, 2010

Song of the Week 94

You can always tell who reads this drivel by mentioning them and then realising they haven’t noticed!

Some of you may have seen yours truly published in the Canberra Times bemoaning the price of tickets to the Australia vs. Fiji Rugby Test. I guess I should be thankful that I don't want Test tickets in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane which are even more of a rip off. I will admit that I was rather surprised at getting my letter published. I'd never written in before, I'm usually more content to tee off here in cyberspace.

Today's cycling tip is that when the temperature is -4 degrees, it is not a good idea to leave your face mask at home. Although it makes me look like an axe murdering hockey goalie I would've appreciated not having the icicles forming under my nose!

Yeah, the scooter is still waiting on parts. Boring.

I made an inglorious return to the swimming pool last night. I dragged myself up and down at the back of Lane 5. I had forgotten that swimming was such hard work after a break. Ouch, ouch, ouch. I would've loved to draft off Howsie but he was burgling in Lane 4.

DJ Rozzlin suggested that this week's theme was artists that died before their time. Well OK. Maybe a couple, with a twist at the end.

Randy Rhoads shot to fame as guitarist for Ozzy Osbourne. His classical guitar training and influence shone through in tasteful guitar work. This is an acoustic piece that he wrote and dedicated to his Mum (Mom). Randy died in a plane crash at the age of 25.


Aeroplanes and guitar players are not a good mix. Ritchie Valens died in the same plane crash that killed Buddy Holly.

Ritchie Valens - Come on Lets Go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozr-EItKGu8

Of course, also on that plane was The Big Bopper. This is a classic tune from when rock n roll was much less complicated.

The Big Bopper - Chantilly Lace: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43KBwsf6dPI

The list of rockers dying before their time is long and sad. Sid Vicious, Bon Scott, Jimi Hendrix, SRV, Janis Joplin and so on. Notice that I didn't include Nirvana's Kurt Cobain in there. I was sad that he died but in my opinion, and feel free to disagree, he took the easy way out.

And is it wrong to include Billy Joel in Song of the Week? I know a lot of people think he has a major credibility issue but he has written some cracking tunes. Here's one I like a LOT that relates to this week's theme, maybe...

Billy Joel - Only The Good Die Young(live): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJBoHa3GArA

Billy puts on a great show, I saw him in Sydney on the Stormfront tour - fabulous!

Of course, there is more than one band with that as a song title.

Iron Maiden - Only The Good Die Young: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Gtsukhh8A

Angus has had a successful sporting week. He represented North Canberra in the ACT Schoolboys Rugby carnival. Not only did his team win but no tries were scored against them all day! We wait now to see if he is invited to trial for the ACT team.

And the big news is that Alison has to have a knee operation next Wednesday. Ouch. Here's hoping they find only what they expect and that she is off the crutches very soon.

Now, this is a long weekend to celebrate the Queen's Birthday. I hope all you people that voted for a republic are coming to work on Monday!! Personally I have nothing against the Queen but her parenting skills leave a lot to be desired. But we don't need the next monarch on our money thanks all the same. And if the Royal Family fancy a visit down under then they can pay their own way without input from my taxes.

Also this weekend - here comes the World Cup Football! I think I'm a bit over it already. When does Le Tour begin?

I'm sorry - this week's attempt on "Glee" at KISS' "Shout It Out Loud" was well below par. And before you ask, I saw it on the promo. Total rubbish. A complete lack of vocal power and presence.

On to our final song. It was going to be Buddy Holly but really, I was never a big fan. Maybe it was the Clark Kent glasses. Try this instead...especially if you are a fan of The Fonz!

Eat your greens,

DJ Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment