Friday, June 2, 2023

World Wide Woozle episode #606

Welcome back loyal listeners! This week really is #606, unlike last time when I got slightly over excited and ahead of myself.

This week started well because Monday was a public holiday. That gave me the chance to get outside on my bike with three good mates. We rolled around for about 50km, chatted a lot and generally had a fine old time. I've been quite aware that nearly all of my riding for a while has been alone. I don't mind rolling around in my own company but doing it all the time is bad news bears.

Whitesnake - Here I Go Again (the original version from '82) - https://youtu.be/DSlSaGcc0QM

I was meant to have some double glazing put on my balcony sliding door on Wednesday but it was all too hard apparently. The boss man visited on Thursday and they've come up with a better solution but of course I have to wait six weeks for another installation slot.

I heard recently that the Midnight Oil 1982 live set that had been released via streaming only was available as a limited run on CD. So I hightailed it off to Soundland Records in deepest Weston Creek on an arctic morning to secure my copy. I had a lovely time at the record shop. I've been avoiding purveyors of vinyl and CDs for a little while but once I was there I couldn't help myself. As well as the Oils CD, I came home with Billy Bragg's most recent album on vinyl (to be fair, it was on sale) and the new album by The Barnestormers. I hadn't been into Songland for quite a few years and I was pleasantly surprised by the wide ranging selection and relatively decent prices.

The Barnestormers album is a rockabilly good time but, checking the small print, I was surprised to see that all the artists had recorded their bits in different places. I guess that's a sign of the times but it left me with a slightly hollow feeling. Hopefully it's successful enough that they can get together for a tour. Fans of some of Jimmy Barnes' other work may notice some recycling of lyrics on at least one song (but not the next one). 

The Barnestormers - Working for the Man - https://youtu.be/rW1ZkcpYRNU

Inspired by DJ ElShano, I grabbed out some of my old 45s and played them this week. It'd be nice to have a jukebox for this but it was still fun and of course I spun the b-sides as well. I hadn't realised that the sleeve of my original copy of Better by The Screaming Jets was autographed! Interestingly, Dave Gleeson, who was also singing for The Angels for the past few years just announced that he's giving up that gig. I've seen him play live with both bands and he really puts on a good show.

The Angels - Take A Long Line (live 2019) - https://youtu.be/YsHEXpcMFPM

Like many of you I am sure, I thought that Ugly Kid Joe had stopped playing music a long time ago. Oh how wrong I was. I spotted an album from them called Rad Wings of Destiny that was released late last year. After the first couple of songs I was ready to turn it off. It wasn't bad, it just sounded a bit, well, average. I kept going though and quite enjoyed their cover of Lola. And then things got interesting. The rest of the album, what would have been the B side on vinyl I imagine, is totally rocking. This track, Dead Friends Play, has everything I want in a rock and roll song. Scratchy driven guitars playing a riff that swaggers like the Stones on a good day, energetic drumming with a big live tom sound that's so in the pocket that it's falling into your socks, simple driving bass and then lyrics and vocal delivery that totally slay. This is awesome. And the rest of the record is pretty sweet too. "You and me we're not the same, I like ZZ, Skynyrd and the James Gang..." Classic.

Ugly Kid Joe - Dead Friends Play - https://youtu.be/avIwFeAQdME

I made my week of cycling a little easier this week. I took 2.5 days off. Shocking. I do feel better for it though. And I finished reading Will Pollock's unputdownable new novel. And I went to bed at a reasonable time almost every night. And to top it off, yesterday I passed the formality of six months of probation at work so for the first time since 2018 I am in stable and permanent employment. I cried because I was so relieved. Life certainly is a journey.

Rollins Band - Low Self Opinion - https://youtu.be/o28dyt7w3As

Rock on everyone, I am.
The Woozle

"We were good, we were gold
Kinda dream that can't be sold
We were right 'til we weren't..."
Miley Cyrus, Flowers, 2023.

Go on....click the links...there's always something unexpected somewhere each week if you look :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment