Sunday, June 25, 2023

World Wide Woozle episode #609

Hi.

Do you remember rock and roll radio? I do. I remember the joy of twisting the knob and moving up and down the dial in search of something cool to listen to. At night especially one could listen to AM stations from all over the country. Community radio was important back in the day as well. It's where I heard so many cool and interesting bands that were never going to get played on commercial stations. Now we have music everywhere and it feels like fewer people listen closely. Life has a soundtrack but do you know the words?

Ray LaMontagne - Like Rock & Roll And Radio - https://youtu.be/xn9x_9Gt5q0

Last time around I wrote about not being so well in the head and taking positive steps to address it. I won't labour the point but I'm doing a lot better. I had a really awesome chat about it today with my mate Toddo as we rode up a long, gradual hill into a strong headwind! We all know that we need to maintain our bodies physically and for me that means cycling, yoga, walking, weights and sleep. If I let the yoga and sleep drop off then I get a few niggles and I remember that I really need to do those exercises! It's the same inside my head except that if I stick to my routine, write in my journal, sleep well (there's a pattern there) and do some mindfulness practice a few times a week then I'm pretty good. It sounds simple but it's easy to fall off the wagon. I also have a few songs, smells and other things that have been triggering unpleasant memories that cause me to ruminate and sometimes do a bit of catastrophizing. Learning to deal with those is a real journey. However, onwards we go.

Neil Young - Old Man (live, 1971) - https://youtu.be/OuVIJlSDOs0

DJ Artisam and I went to see Henry Rollins on Tuesday. The man did not disappoint. Henry walked on, tested the microphone, sorted out the foldback system and then proceeded to talk non-stop for two and a half hours. It was awesome. Interestingly, I found that he talked a lot more about him having been in Black Flag than he usually does. He often referred to himself as, "Henry Rollins from Black Flag". I guess a lot of people identify with that part of his career and thus recognise him for it. I came to the party a bit later on. The other news is that I'd emailed him a few days earlier and he was gracious enough to write back to me. 

Rollins Band with Chuck D - Rise Above (Black Flag song) - https://youtu.be/RozKBqflQYY

I've been listening to the new Witchskull and Isbell album but I might let them sit for a few more weeks before I write about them. I certainly have no complaints so far about either. A couple of other records have also distracted me this week. Johnny Cash's American III record and a collection of Rory Gallaher's songs have been the CDs of choice on the World Wide Woozle sound system. Cash is one I've loved forever. I always wanted bands I've been in to play I Won't Back Down the way he does it but the best I got was the intro before we went all Heartbreakers (which was fun). Tom Petty is on backing vocals here too....

Johnny Cash - I Won't Back Down - https://youtu.be/xggRxWXdTng

Lastly, a big WELCOME HOME to my brother. He's been in hospital for too many weeks after a car hit him and made a huge mess of his leg. Love you bro.

Rod Stewart - Hot Legs (live) - https://youtu.be/Nl-G2GWRQcI

Rock on everyone,
The Woozle

"And he's still climbing,
See him trying to cross the street,
He tests his footing,
Like he was up ten thousand feet,
Above the clouds,
Half-way down Dominion Road..."

The Mutton Birds, Dominion Road, 1992.

No comments:

Post a Comment