Friday, May 26, 2023

World Wide Woozle episode #605

This time around in another enthralling episode of the World Wide Woozle:
- Is too much cycling ever enough?
- Tina Turner
- Trying to enjoy Jeff Beck's music
- The new EP from Ghost
- Why I should refrain from DIY as much as possible

If you read this blog even semi-regularly you'll know that I ride my bike a lot. I ride to and from work most days (including some extra training kilometres usually on the way home). I ride on the weekends, usually longer distances. I ride alone. I ride with my mates. I'll ride with anyone I meet if they're going my way! For many years, it's kept me fit and relatively sane. But I am worried a bit. I set myself a goal of riding 14,000km this year. To put that into perspective, 12,000km is quite reachable for me. It's a lot of time on a bike (244hrs so far this year) and most of it is pretty enjoyable. Last Sunday wasn't though. I was suddenly cold, tired and lonely and it was no fun at all. Somehow I managed to keep pedalling and the sun came out accompanied by a rainbow. On Tuesday I began to feel unwell. I rode home feeling pretty drained and ended up having Wednesday off work (and the bike too obviously). I feel fine now but maybe, just maybe I need to plan my training better. I can't imagine not riding and even the thought of cutting it back makes me uneasy.

Colin Hay - I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself - https://youtu.be/PhOEQIPOQ-U

Tina Turner died this week. I'm sure that you all know that by now. A few of her songs always make me smile and I really, really like this version of one of her hits. Back in 2005 I played guitar in the band for a musical. It was pretty much all songs that I would never have considered playing otherwise and this one tons of fun.

Tina Turner - What You Get Is What You See (1989 NRL promo clip) - https://youtu.be/tXIzp0ok24I

Jeff Beck is a deadset guitar legend. As a result I always thought that I should like his stuff but it's never really turned me on in any way. It's not from a lack of trying either. I get it, he's unique, but I dunno, it leaves me quite disinterested. So when Spotify threw up a new EP from Jeff I hesitated. Later on I gave it a spin and whilst it's good, it's still not my thing. Apart from this track. This one is the business. I'll play the original for you.

Jeff Beck - Goin' Down (live) - https://youtu.be/P_Ybu9qbVto

Ghost. I've rambled on about them far too much over the past few years. The new EP really does kick it hard. It's great stuff, a lot of fun and there's not a dud on it. Magnificent.

Ghost - We Don't Need Another Hero (Tina Turner cover) - https://youtu.be/AMsV7qigmgQ

Whilst I might be OK at cycling, DIY is another story. About a week ago I noticed a small amount of water coming under the shower door into the bathroom. It's not really an issue as the water can only go down another drain but I guess, being almost an old aged pensioner, I might slip on it. So I fixed it. There was old silicon, old grout, cleaning products, masking tape and new sealant absolutely everywhere. AND there was also the case of the missing sealant gun to deal with. But it's done and the seal, whilst winning no beauty awards, seems to be functional. Unlike every time I try to fix my bike there was no blood. Winning.

Iggy Pop - Fix Me (Black Flag cover) - https://youtu.be/HnZow_zx4VQ

Two of the Marshall Clan are in Scotland this week. My Dad's there as part of a trip to Ireland and Scotland and Zoe has taken the train up to see him. Who knows when I'll get to return to the land of Irn Bru. I had the joy of a work trip to Wagga Wagga last week but it's not quite the same! I'm also being sent overnight to Melbourne...on a night when Angus will be away. Good grief!

Billy Connolly - Glasgow Central - https://youtu.be/BP6avh8MntE

Lastly, I've been making a concerted effort to listen to my LPs as much as possible. If that kind of thing interests you then give me a follow over on Insta at @rob.woozle 

Rock on,
The Woozle

" When my boots hit the boards I'm a brand new man,
With my back to the riser I'll make my stand.. "
Steve Earle, Guitar Town, 1986.


No comments:

Post a Comment