Saturday, June 10, 2023

World Wide Woozle episode #607

Hi everyone and thanks for reading this!

Last time I reflected a bit about my cycling. Well, on Sunday it all went pear shaped. I guess the signs were there but I chose to ignore them. I set out to ride 150km and about 40km into the ride I realised that I'd had enough both physically and mentally. I got home with 85km ridden but it wasn't good at all. The rest of the day was pretty much a write off. Thinking back to my triathlon days when we trained the house down in a four week cycle, I remembered that we had a month off in the middle of the year. Affectionately known as "fat month" it was meant to be an opportunity for our bodies, and families, to recover. I decided that I needed to have this week off the bike. I've caught the tram to work, slept in, eaten more and had an extra three hours in the day. I did go bushwalking today (Saturday) and I absolutely loved it. Don't get me wrong, the bike still beckons but it's been good to take a short break. Maybe I'll do it again...next year.

Spiderbait - Calypso - https://youtu.be/CnMmRV8y0xM

Last week I came to the grim realisation that I was missing the 2017 vinyl issue of Armoured Angel's 1994 EP, Mysterium. I'm not sure how this happened but it was relatively easily remedied. The fab people at ALT CVLT in Frankston, Victoria sent me a copy in quick time and it arrived well packed in black paper with a thankyou note, a sticker and a couple of badges too. That made me smile and I'll certainly look at their webstore again after next payday.

Armoured Angel - Enigmatize - https://youtu.be/UNTLzpwfFfs

I see that Foo Fighters have a new drummer and a new album. It's great to see them carrying on given the circumstances. I have to say though that the album is a bit, well, boring. They are great musicians, it's well recorded and has a good level of energy, but, I don't know. I can't put my finger on it. It's just doing nothing for me at all and I struggled to listen to the whole thing as it all melded into one long variation on a theme. I'll go back and try it again later on. This one never gets old though.

Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench (live 2023) - https://youtu.be/TohRMbtih0w

Last time around I played a great track from Ugly Kid Joe. If you didn't click that link then I feel you missed out. Following on in that vibe how about this from the band Goodbye June? Honest, loud, rock and roll.

Goodbye June - See Where The Night Goes - https://youtu.be/ohCKF3DBweU

This is a shorter episode. I've had a tough week inside my head. But what do you do? I'm thankful for friends and family who look out for me and that I have a good job that I like. I'll take stock, re-jig a few things, stay off Facebook, and keep on keeping on.

Rock on everyone,
The Woozle

"At night the highway's diesel roar
Speaks to me and tells me more
Than any book I've ever read
Or anything you ever said
With silent eyes inside
I watch myself and worlds collide
The seasons burn and crack my skin
I stay outside and live within..."

Rollins Band, Illumination, 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment