Friday, September 30, 2022

World Wide Woozle episode #585

Hello out there all you radio fans. Plug your headphones into the gas mains as we explode into another episode of the worldwide phenomenon known as the World Wide Woozle.

I'm onto book number three in the reading challenge. I've just finished 11 Bats by Harry Moffitt which was an interesting insight into his time in the Australian Army. It's far from your regular autobiography and, having met Harry, I can assure you that he is far from being a regular bloke. Check out the book if you're interested in a warts and all look at what life in special forces can do to someone in both positive and negative terms.  It's also essential reading for cricket tragics and rock music fans. Here's Harry singing...

The Externals - The Hell Beyond - https://youtu.be/qeZZL2e1uPo

The next book for me is Umberto Eco's How To Travel With A Salmon. I read this many years ago and have always wanted to jump back into it. I'll report back.

A Perfect Circle - So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish - https://youtu.be/UkHSmDxX1t4

In the last few years I've become quite a fan of the New Zealand band, The Mutton Birds. I just wish I'd been into them when they were still making music. Don McGlashan from the band has a successful solo career and blow me down if he isn't coming to Canberra! Thanks to my brother for the heads up. I'm hanging out to see Don play some classic tracks as well as some of his newer material. I've put in a request via his Instagram page...

Don McGlashan - Lucky Stars - https://youtu.be/YVi14I9mHCU

I wasn't going to play the next song because it's one that I associate with times gone by. But it's such an amazing track and I want to love it regardless of that association. I just wish I could sing it but I can't get my voice to work that way. Watch this space as a new band is taking shape and hopefully one of the two vocalists can make this work...

The Mutton Birds - Anchor Me - https://youtu.be/ULcX6SL_wnY

In a growing list of bands that I can't believe I didn't listen to earlier are The Melvins. I think I looked at the band name and Buzz's hair and foolishly judged them by that. This is a band that was regularly namechecked by Nirvana and others. I went back and listened to almost all of their back catalogue and it's been a trip for sure. Some is punky, some is heavier, some is grungy and then there's acoustic stuff too. Well worth your time.

The Melvins - Revolve - https://youtu.be/Py2fG-NgfkA

DJ A-Tee was chatting with me today about earth shattering sub-woofers and music that matters. Anyone with old Stevie Ray Vaughan concerts on video must be a good guy in my opinion. I do think I need a sub-woofer to annoy the neighbours and to maximise my enjoyment of Bing's new track...

SRV and Albert King - Born Under A Bad Sign (live) - https://youtu.be/SeLddbrzsHk

I heard the next band on the radio during the week and they caught my attention enough for me to remember their name all the way from the carpark back up to World Wide Woozle HQ. It's another band from New Zealand and whilst they are described, fairly, as indie pop, I feel there's a bit more depth. They've got a new album with a cool song called Expert In A Dying Field. That really appealed to me. So did this one...

The Beths - You Wouldn't Like Me - https://youtu.be/CV3Bjx-vPTg

Did you know that the entire eleven seasons of M*A*S*H is available on Disney+ ? You do now. It's awesome to see it without the commercial TV channels cutting it short, missing bits or throwing adverts in at all the wrong moments. Eleven seasons might take me a while. It is a long weekend though...

It's not long now until DJ SAB and The Real Rod Stewart, with me in tow, head to Sydney to see Sisters of Mercy. I've been familiarising myself with a possible setlist because the truth is that I only know about four songs of theirs. That's half the fun though and it'll be a new experience for me hanging out with all the goths!

Sisters of Mercy - Dominion / Mother Russia - https://youtu.be/8zow2Dblvwo

It's a long weekend here in some States and Territories which means, hopefully, some quality time in the great outdoors. I've extended my bushwalking past 12km now but I think I'm going to invest in some walking poles. They'll help my poor old knees and I can always swing them at magpies if required. Being outside, staying away from Facebook and doing more reading really are working well in keeping me mentally healthy. 

Smile; people will wonder what you're up to....
The Woozle.

"Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changin' ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?"
Fleetwood Mac, Landslide, 1975.

No comments:

Post a Comment