Monday, September 26, 2022

World Wide Woozle episode #584

G'day Groovers and welcome back.

DJ Chuck and I were in Wollongong over the weekend as spectators at the World Cycling Championships. It was cool to see this event back in Australia (it was in Geelong a few years ago). Interestingly, one newspaper article reflected on the fact that Wollongong may have been favoured over Canberra as the nation's capital is too flat. Whoever wrote that has obviously never been on a bike here. The whole weekend was a ripper and the racing in the women's junior and U23/elite races were clear highlights with a large number of riders attacking throughout the race. Hats off too to the women as Mother Nature certainly threw everything at them.

Guns n' Roses have announced deluxe versions of their Use Your Illusion albums. Initially it all looked pretty good but with the benefit of digging a little deeper (and the thoughts of a range of music writers) it becomes clear that many opportunities have been missed. The albums themselves are remastered and some live concert recordings are also included but, unlike many deluxe editions including GnR's own Appetite for Destruction, there aren't the demo, alternate or early versions of songs which make it interesting. The prices are also really very expensive for what you get. I'll probably cough up for the albums themselves as I think I only have cassette copies here, but at US$500 for the vinyl version then I think that can stay in the shop.

Guns 'n Roses - You Could Be Mine (live) - https://youtu.be/ZKDChcZCNf4

I almost picked up the 4 x vinyl LP version of Sheryl Crow's Live At The Ryman and More. I usually like her music and the live concert DVD I saw a few years ago was excellent. But I was fiscally responsible this time and went home to check out the album online before plonking down the hard earned cash. I must admit that I should have just bought it as it's a great live set. Jason Isbell and Emmylou Harris make separate appearances as well. I just love the opening guitar riff in this song, it's on my list to learn.

Sheryl Crow - Steve McQueen (live) - https://youtu.be/0mPxWD6cSv8

Speaking, as we were, about deluxe re-releases, Iron Fist by Motorhead has just been given the treatment and they got it right. It's not their most rough and ready album but it is the final album with the classic lineup of Lemmy, Philthy and Fast Eddie. The complete concert recorded in Glasgow in 1982 does, however, have the band at their loud and furious best.

Motörhead – (Don't Let 'Em) Grind You Down (live Glasgow, 1982) - https://youtu.be/HG4u9hmv078

As a young kid in New Zealand it was hard to spend much time listening to the radio without hearing Split Enz. And even though Australia sort of tried to appropriate the band as their own, they always had a distinctly Kiwi flavour. This new version of a Split Enz classic, sung in Māori, sounds as if it was the way it was always meant to be. I'm sure that you'll pick the song without any problem. If you don't then maybe you need a spell in a vessel that is a bit damp.

Tim Finn feat. Hana Mereraiha - Ono Marama Takerehaia - https://youtu.be/BtK5ey3FRhM

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers have a special place in my heart. They were my mate Garry's favourite band and one he saw just before he died. Tom's gone now as well but the music lives on. A live set recorded during their extended residency at The Fillmore in 1997 is due for release (58 tracks) and the single release is one that I've really enjoyed. 

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Listen To Her Heart (live 1997) - https://youtu.be/ipqCIbM4PYQ

Isabella Manfredi (formerly of The Preatures) has now released her debut solo album, izzi, and I have bought it on CD and had a really good listen to it. If you liked The Preatures then this is going to please you as none of it strays too far musically from that band. Manfredi has a bit to say though and I can't help but feel that she's been through the mill in both good ways and bad. The Preatures' breakup, end of a relationship, new music, new partner and the birth of her first child all make for poignant lyrics. My only little criticism is the cover of the album. I just don't think it's a good photo or that it says anything at all about the music. It reminds me of the debacle of a cover of Baby Animals' second album. Regardless, the album is very enjoyable and one that I will keep coming back to.

Isabella Manfredi - Only Child - https://youtu.be/wEjzyhipgYE

I'm still reading up a storm in an attempt to do 5 books in 50 days raising money for Legacy via Brothers and Books. I had to give up with one book though. It was just too complex and I kept getting lost. It was pretty frustrating I must admit but I'll come back to it in a few months. Maybe I was too ambitious but then nothing ventured, nothing gained. I've gone for a non-fiction book just to help me get my confidence back. Thanks to those who suggested I try including some audiobooks as well;  I really don't like them.

Bing put me onto the Pitchfork website for album reviews. Generally they are very well researched and thought out. Also, it doesn't feel as if the writer is just rehashing the record label's press release. Sumerlands is one band that I have started listening to as a result of a review here. There are many bands out there trying to relive the "glory" days of 80s metal and whilst a lot of them can play quite well I find that either the lyrics or the vocals are a huge let down. Sumerlands seem to have all the boxes ticked. I listened to their latest album via streaming and then their first album as well. The most recent release is a bit more Ozzy / Judas Priest 80s style whereas their earlier album has a more Black Sabbath influence. I've ordered their current album (avoiding the Bandcamp demand for US$40 shipping). If you thought 1987 was a pivotal year for hard rock then I reckon this might appeal to you.

Sumerlands - Dreamkiller - https://youtu.be/ap2YdhQs3Fc

The Smashing Pumpkins have a new triple album coming soon. Each one of the albums will be released separately and it's the sequel to the 1995 release Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Sometimes I love Smashing Pumpkins and then at other times their music leaves me cold. It really depends on my mood. They are not a regular listen for me. The single, Beguiled, has a rather fantastic meaty guitar sound that fills me full of hope. The rest of the song held my interest and it sounds, I dunno, big? Let's hope the albums are great!

The Smashing Pumpkins - Beguiled - https://youtu.be/KqZZ-FeZPJ0

I listened to a podcast yesterday called Strong Songs. Finally, a guy speaking my language. The host takes a deep dive into a song and it is INTERESTING! It's not so technical that it gets boring and the research is extensive. I listened for about an hour all about Wichita Lineman and it was illuminating and inspiring. And it's a great song. I learned about baritone guitars, Carol Kaye, the Wrecking Crew and so much more. 

Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman - https://youtu.be/Q8P_xTBpAcY

To finish this week I feel the need for something by Henry. It's been one of those days. Excuse me whilst I go and do a hundred push ups and then dance around the lounge room to this one...

Rollins Band w/ Chuck D - Rise Above - https://youtu.be/RozKBqflQYY

Keep smiling,

The Woozle

"Apathy has rained on me
Now I'm feeling like a soggy dream
So close to drowning but I don't mind
I'll live inside this mental cave
Throw my emotions in the grave
Hell, who needs them anyway..."
Green Day, Burnout, 1994.

No comments:

Post a Comment