Tuesday, September 6, 2022

World Wide Woozle episode #582

Things are taking shape at HQ World Wide Woozle. After a number of years, I now have easy access to the whole music library. And by that I mean LPs, 45 rpm singles, CDs and cassettes. I was going to set myself a challenge to listen to them all but that may take a very, very long time!

The cool things are those that I'd forgotten about or just not seen for a few years. Cassette recordings of live concerts broadcast on radio, limited edition singles and of course just the opportunity to look at the artwork and read liner notes. You don't get that joy with streaming.

I also find that I am much less tempted to skip tracks when I'm playing physical media. My CD player doesn't have a remote control! It's always been important to me to try and listen to a whole album.

So, here are a few tracks from recordings that caught my eye as I unpacked and sort of organised it all.

I've got a JJJ Live At The Wireless session from silverchair back in the day on cassette. I probably should dub it onto a CD one day because it's a great show. I remember them being particularly heavy when they played live which isn;t surprising given they liked bands such as Helmet.

silverchair - Israel's Son (live) - https://youtu.be/0lLKWVdyfI8

I missed seeing the Ramones in the early 90s because no-one else I knew wanted to go. These days I'd just go by myself but back then I wasn't game. I've got a 1980 live set from the on cassette which was another radio broadcast. 1,2,3,4.....

The Ramones - The KKK Took My Baby Away (live) - https://youtu.be/ez4yjw5Y94s

Nick Barker's most recent band (I think) is called The Heartache State. If you liked him with The Reptiles or on his great self titled solo album then this will not disappoint. I've got all my 33s here so don't worry!

The Heartache State - Give Me Back My Aerosmith 33s - https://youtu.be/nJ32R_1y8eQ

Many years ago now I got into Steve Earle and The Dixie Chicks at the same time. It was a bit of a country music phase that never really ended. The Chicks put on such a great live show. They are real musicians and aren't afraid to say what they think. This is from their Top of The World live album which I have worn out for sure.

The Chicks - Am I The Only One Who's Ever Felt This Way? (live) - https://youtu.be/jbwFf-U3l_U

And this one is cheesy. What a great riff and awesome sounding guitars. Thunder are huge in the UK but not so much as an export which is a shame. Funny and very dated video clip!

Thunder - Dirty Love - https://youtu.be/nj7ubjR1uM0

I purchased the new King Stingray album on CD last week and it has been on high rotation at home. You know a band has made it big when you hear their songs at the supermarket! I really like this song, it's a real ear worm, and I also heard it at Woolies. The whole album is a great listening experience with plenty of energy, grooves and infectious melodies. I've had the hook from this song in my mind for days..."Central Arnhem Highway on my mind..."

King Stingray - Let's Go - https://youtu.be/nEiiCnIAwkg

There's a new Megadeth album too. It was interesting to read that the band, who have been bastions of regular guitar tuning (EADGBE where A = 440 Hz) have tuned down a whole step (so the low E string is now a D). Lots of metal bands do this to make their sound thicker or heavier but Megadeth have done it as a result of Dave Mustaine's voice changing after cancer. The album is fast, furious and sounds amazing. I'll dig deeper into the lyrics a bit later on but it definitely gets the thumbs up so far.

Megadeth - Soldier On! - https://youtu.be/q5M8K2Jm2bE

I heard a bit of Tracy Chapman on the Iain Anderson radio show via BBC Scotland last week. I hadn't listened to her for a while and I'm not sure I actually have an album in the collection. But I do remember my sister-in-law being a huge fan. I'll spend some more time with Tracy's music over the next week or so as I'm sure I've missed out on a lot!

Tracy Chapman - Talkin' 'Bout A Revolution (live) - https://youtu.be/7QHNC4YBAYo

There was lots of coverage of the Taylor Hawkins tribute concert over the last few days. Here's a totally cool track from one of his solo releases. His influences are pretty clear here I reckon. See what you think.

Taylor Hawkins & The Coattail Riders - The End of The Line - https://youtu.be/WYfP2Pud_DE

What else is happening? Well I'm trying to read five books in fifty days as part of a readathon to help out Legacy. It's being run by Brothers 'n' Books who I have spoken of before. My training on the bike and walking is finally getting some consistency back after illness. I've signed up to work with a dietitian for a bit. Let's be clear; losing weight isn't the point here; I'm just struggling a bit getting back into a routine for fueling my body. A healthy diet is key to my head being healthy too and I recognise that I need a little bit of a push and some accountability there. And I made some LEGO on the weekend; it's great for mindfulness as you can't really concentrate on anything else (at least I can't).

Painters and Dockers - In My Mind - https://youtu.be/fNfDNjVbur0

Rock on everyone,
The Woozle

"… Time, time, time
See what's become of me
While I looked around for my possibilities..."
Simon & Garfunkel, Hazy Shade of Winter, 1966.

No comments:

Post a Comment