Friday, May 27, 2022

World Wide Woozle episode #570

70 episodes and the World Wide Woozle keeps rolling on. And perhaps gathering moss. Read on folks...

A change of federal government in Australia will certainly be interesting. What it might mean for me is a permanent job and I'll take that as a huge win! Fingers crossed.

The Uncanny X-Men - Work - https://youtu.be/fKeJlpXOIqw

On Tuesday night Todd and I went to the Canberra Theatre to see the Let It Be 40th anniversary show. What a great gig!! Unbeknown to me, Suzy had got us VIP tickets. As a result we got to meet the band (and get a photo with them), hear them play two songs before the show and to top it off we had FRONT ROW SEATS!!! Woo hoo! The band was made up of some well known Aussie musicians including Mark from Jet and they were clearly having a great time playing Beatles tunes. The first set was the Let It Be album from start to finish and the second set was a mixture of tunes that the four Beatles recorded later as solo artists.

Ringo Starr - Photograph - https://youtu.be/rGuPfCD9kdk

Yesterday someone stole some of my bike gear from where it is parked underneath my place of employment...in a "secure" parking facility. Fortunately the actual bike was untouched. But it was a cold ride home with no base layer, cycling vest or gloves!! I hope whoever nicked those is nice and warm. What they are going to do with my rear light (minus the bracket) and the saddle bag that clips under the seat is anyone's guess. I can't actually believe that I didn't get a flat riding home or back to work when I didn't have tyre levers with me!

The Equals - Police On My Back - https://youtu.be/DH0Guwo_ky0

Let's return to speaking about albums that are a complete listening experience. One that DJ DJ has recommended is Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche. I agree completely in this case as it is a fantastic album without a dud track. It also tells a story. I treated myself to watching a live version of it the other night and was totally immersed in the sound and vision. The band's following album, Empire, is also hard to fault.

Queensryche - The Needle Lies (live) - https://youtu.be/E_LDkphPYic

One of my mates has alerted me to the fact that George Thorogood is coming to Canberra in the near future. I'm sure it will be a very, very popular gig as well. I'll have to give it serious consideration. His 1991 album, Boogie People, is heaps of fun and essential listening for lovers of rock and roll guitar. The slide guitar introduction to this song has appealed to me for many, many years!

George Thorogood - Can't Be Satisfied - https://youtu.be/jD1fBHetwpw

Meg Mac is a Sydney based singer and musician. I hadn't heard much about her until Kram mentioned that he'd been in the crowd to see her perform the night before he played the Let It Be show. I've had a little listen to some of Meg's material and I quite like it. It reminds me of The Preatures (who I loved) quite a lot.

Meg Mac - Roll Up Your Sleeves - https://youtu.be/LKeX0DmLSaI

Finally, from Los Angeles, it's L7. This is a band who got down with fuzzy guitars, biting lyrics and a no-nonsense approach. I'm not sure why some people think L7 are a metal band, it's definitely hard rocking, sludgy punk!

L7 - Diet Pill -  https://youtu.be/u3TSJpEZ3kw

The Woozle

"When my children's eyes look at me and they ask me to explain,
it hurts me that I have to look away.
The powers that be are in for shame and comeuppance...
...stick it up your ass with your useless thoughts and prayers..."

Drive By Truckers, Thoughts and Prayers, 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment