Friday, May 20, 2022

World Wide Woozle episode #569

Hey, hey, hey...it's The Woozle. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Firstly a word from Taylor who just received an honorary doctorate! Nice. One for the social media keyboard commandos...

Taylor Swift - You Need To Calm Down - https://youtu.be/Dkk9gvTmCXY

Well, I've had quite a few responses and conversations about albums that you all think constitute a complete listening experience. There were some choices that I saw coming and quite a few that have given me a lot to think about. Give me a few weeks to do some quality listening and then I'll write more about these.

DJ Macca recommended Bowie's The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars. Good choice.

David Bowie - Suffragette City (live 1990) - https://youtu.be/RhfMvh6Em0M

Without getting too detailed...Spy v. Spy were excellent. Loads of energy, great songs and a crowd that were appreciative. I'll say this though; it was FAR TOO LOUD. I had proper noise reducing earplugs in and the volume was still a challenge. In the end we ended up at the back of the venue for a little relief. The mix was actually better back there anyway. I'm sure that the decibel meter app on my phone is wildly inaccurate but when it was registering over 100dB you know it's loud. The support band was cool too; I'd see them again.

Urban Guerillas - Hurricane - https://youtu.be/3HFEKy-Ebys

I've always had a bit of a thing for science fiction. Star Wars probably started it (or was it Dr. Who and Blakes 7?) although I had a licensed maths set and an R2D2 figure for around a year before I saw the first movie! And I vividly remember the excitement of being allowed to watch the first episode of Battlestar Galactica when I was a little boy still living in New Zealand.

Monster Magnet - Space Lord - https://youtu.be/dscfeQOMuGw

Next week Toddo and I are off to see the tribute show for The Beatles' Let It Be album. We've had these tickets for 12 months now so it's going to be awesome to finally get to see the show after it has been postponed seemingly forever. After a few road trips with Todd, I can confirm that he knows every lyric to ever Beatles song!

The Beatles - One After 909 - https://youtu.be/RLjJ3VrRKx4

The following comments are all mine. They in no way represent my employer, anyone I know, my Mum or next door's dog. I've avoided talking about politics, mostly, for ages now. To be quite francis with you all, I'm simply tired of the whole thing. The current crop of leaders has seemingly managed to rort its way through the last few years with impunity. None of them seem to take responsibility for anything and those that are sanctioned are back in a jiffy with transgressions, that would mean the sack for the rest of us, just swept under the rug. I really enjoy hearing politicians promising to do amazing things when they've already had nine years in government to get on with the job. As for the opposition parties...well, maybe a few genuine points of difference or realistic policies would be useful. And don't get me started on truth in advertising; what a debacle. At least we don't live in America where their choices were either the useless one or the moron.

Bad Religion - The Dodo - https://youtu.be/18PmpbVp-9g

I attempted to return to my upper body workout regime this week. It isn't fancy and includes some planking and a push up challenge. My sore ribs are still just a little tender though so that meant a halt to proceedings...for another week. Stupid ribs!

Queen - Don't Stop Me Now - https://youtu.be/-gi6LINyYso

Rock on everyone,
The Woozle

"You poor take courage, you rich take care
This Earth was made a common treasury for everyone to share..."
Billy Bragg, The World Turned Upside Down, 1984.

No comments:

Post a Comment