Friday, May 6, 2022

World Wide Woozle episode #567

Here we are again folks.

Last weekend Toddo and I were in Mudgee. It's about a five hour drive each way on some windy and steep roads taking in Crookwell, Bathurst and a few other spots. Bathurst excelled itself by providing me with a lentil curry pie which was absolutely fantastic. The ride itself was shortened a little due to flood damage on some roads but the ones we were one were, for the most part, in great condition. We were never there to race and therefore immensely enjoyed our morning trundling around the countryside. Our accomodation for next year is already booked and hopefully the whole crew can be there as we're mulling over the idea of riding the 180km course.

Kris Kristofferson - This Old Road - https://youtu.be/sU_tjb0MceY

I haven't been on a beach for almost a year now. And in the past that wouldn't have worried me at all. Things changed a bit for me when I was at Bonny Hills a while ago. You may remember that the pandemic curtailed mine and Angus' holiday there. After he'd had to scarper back across the border to Queensland I took myself out for a walk on the sand. I was gone for quite a while on a beautiful stretch of deserted beach. Other than walking I did some yoga and a spot of meditation too. And in that moment I felt truly at peace. This weekend Fi and I will be at the coast and whilst it might be a bit cool for a swim (especially for a chicken like me) I'm looking forward to getting the sand between my toes and embracing the sound of the ocean.

Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blues - https://youtu.be/er1LsKPXLj8

Here's a song that I haven't heard in a very, very long time. I was out walking this morning (giving my ribs a bit longer to heal) and it popped up on a list of recommended tracks. A classic that has been re-recorded by Steve Earle and I really like the way that it sounds raw and honest.

Steve Earle - Mr Bojangles - https://youtu.be/7MEAN6H5mWs

Speaking of new music, Aussie punk rockers The Chats have a new single. Give it a whirl; they are always good value and a lot of fun.

The Chats - 6L GTR - https://youtu.be/hrkuo0y8gMU

I've got a few AC/DC live recordings and bootlegs hanging around from a variety of sources. It's important with them to look past the sonic limitations of the source material and focus on the energy of the performance. To that end, it was a bit surprising to see that the band's Spotify account has released a live concert from 1978 recorded in Ohio. It's a real treat for fans to hear a couple of tracks that are rarely played at a show.

AC/DC - Gone Shootin' (live) - https://youtu.be/73yCJhs4ROk

Driving to and from Mudgee gave Todd and I a chance to unashamedly indulge in our love for The Beatles. We had every album in one playlist and got through most of it. It's hard to pick a favourite Beatles song or album but this version of one of their classics is right up there for me.

Elvis Costello - Penny Lane (live) - https://youtu.be/vSo-VFTq5PU

Here's a track that Spotify has seemingly decided that I really like. This is interesting as it's from a band I've never heard of. Kinda fun though and I'll listen more. If anyone knows much about the group then feel free to yell out.

The Bottle Rockets - Radar Gun (live) - https://youtu.be/xpqTcGbn9r4

I'm not a huge podcast listener but I have been enjoying one called Heavyweight. The theme tune made my ears prick up and I've subsequently checked out the band that recorded it. I guess they remind me quite a lot of REM and The Mountain Goats. This is definitely a band that has come up with a great sound; well to my ears at least. The guitars are warmly driven, not harsh, and use some tasty vibrato and tremolo effects. And the snare drum sound is snappy and tight. I'm never really sure how to describe how things sound but the drums sound orange and the guitars are brown and wavy.

The Weakerthans - Sun in an Empty Room - https://youtu.be/8se66vS90Z8

The podcast, Heavyweight, is an interesting listen. The presenter puts himself in the position of helping people resolve difficult things that have gone on in their lives. There's two elderly brothers who fell out decades ago and aren't on speaking terms, a guy who appeared in the worst commercial ever and another bloke who claims to have had a huge part in making Moby a star and wants his old CDs back. The problem that I've found with many podcasts is that, like blogs, anyone can have one. Most are really very boring and not well produced. Heavyweight, however, is well written and recorded. Give it a try sometime wherever you get podcasts (it's on Spotify which is where I found it).

Keep smiling everyone, if nothing else it will make others wonder what you've been up to!

Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel - Make Me Smile - https://youtu.be/dAoaVU3-ve0

Bye,
The Woozle

"So, understand,
Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years.
Face up, make your stand,
And realize you're living in the golden years." Iron Maiden, Wasted Years, 1986.

No comments:

Post a Comment