Sunday, August 30, 2020

World Wide Woozle episode #524

Hello there all you radio fans,

I know it's been a great weekend when, on Sunday evening, I realise that I haven't written this episode yet! My only excuse for tardiness is that I've been doing other stuff and simply forgot. Spring is almost upon us in Canberra and that means warmer weather, washing that dries on the line and of course, my favourite, the annual angry magpies vs cyclists season! Let's get down to business.

Metallica have released their second live album recorded with a symphony orchestra. One wasn't enough? Apparently not. I've had a listen and, whilst obviously there are a few new songs since their last one in 1999, there's really not that much to write home about here. However, in the live footage released it's fairly obvious that the band are having a whale of a time and, you know, that's pretty cool. If heavy rock with an orchestra is something that interests you then Metallica's 1999 album, S&M, is great. KISS' Alive IV with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra is much more fun though. S&M 2 is really for fans only.

Metallica and San Francisco Symphony - Moth Into Flame (live) - https://youtu.be/Q0SU8vxBpc8

Sadly, we got the news this week that Justin Townes Earle had died. Named by his father Steve, for his friend and fellow musician, Townes Van Zandt, Justin was an accomplished musician in his own right. His album, Absent Fathers, is well worth checking out. Justin was just 38 years old.

Justin Townes Earle - The Saint of Lost Causes - https://youtu.be/zdgBLnEGILI

In the 80s and 90s when INXS were one of the biggest bands on the planet I wasn't really into them. Maybe it was a reaction to them being overplayed on radio or perhaps I was just being contrary. Regardless, after playing one or two of their songs live I started to listen more and I'm glad I did. They were great musicians and really knew how to write a groove. INXS' 1991 live show at Wembley has just been re-released and it should be winging its way to my HQ World Wide Woozle in the near future.

INXS - Original Sin (live 1991) - https://youtu.be/p5asQOVqiVQ

Last weekend I read about the life of former Aussie Rules footballer, Robert Muir. If you don't know his story then I very much encourage you to click here and spend the time reading it. It doesn't really matter if you're a football fan or not, the article is an horrific and devastating insight into racism in Australia. For me, reading that made me sad, angry and at times despondent. Some people truly believe that Australia doesn't have a problem with racism and I really struggle with that because, well, it's so obvious. A day or two afterwards I turned on the radio and heard Kev Carmody giving a shout out to the performers of this new version of his well known song. Timing is everything...

Electric Fields - From Little Things Big Things Grow - https://youtu.be/ao7GOymvhsw

Have you ever misplaced a CD and it really gets under your skin? I have and even though I've looked through ALL of my discs I simply can't find them. Somewhere in my little house, two Warumpi Band CDs are hiding! I will not be defeated though! I think the way to find them is to order replacements ha ha! So, here's a placeholder...

Warumpi Band - Sitdown Money - https://youtu.be/-G4jw0Pj_gg

In 1969, King Crimson released an album called In the Court of the Crimson King. In 2020, they are releasing a 26 disc deluxe boxset of the same album. There's live concerts, different mixes, studio sessions and a lot more. I've never listened to the original album so I think I'll start there. It did make me think though, how many albums that I like would I be prepared to sit through something similar if it existed? I did listen to many, many versions of Beatles and Beach Boys studio tracks that DJ PotRope gave to me. It was cool to listen over a number of hours as the bands built up a song. I still don't think I'd have the stamina for 26 discs dedicated to one album though.

King Crimson - The Court of the Crimson King - https://youtu.be/MBIJ8JWostc

I'll leave you this week with Cinderella. I've chosen this song for a few reasons (other than the fact I like to listen to it in the car....a lot). Firstly, it's simply a fun bluesy rocker with tasty guitars and of course Tom Keifer has a great rock and roll voice. But at the start of this live version the drum intro is pure magic. I don't always pay a lot of attention to drumming but I'd like to be able to play this! Rock on!!

Cinderella - Hot and Bothered (live) - https://youtu.be/yGqEVLxoyaM

I may be playing a couple of songs live in front of an audience later in the week so watch this space to see if I remember how to do that...

Rob

"In this land of competition
the compassion is gone
Yet we ignore the needy
and we keep pushing on...
keep pushing on", Punk Rock Song, Bad Religion, 1996.

No comments:

Post a Comment