Saturday, August 1, 2020

World Wide Woozle episode #520

Hello out there all you radio fans.

Last week there was the chance that I'd be snorkeling around my unit as the result of a water leak. Thankfully I haven't had to use my fins and snorkel just yet. A trip to the hardware store and some fun with silicon sealant and a caulking gun means that the water is contained. My handiwork isn't pretty but I'm all about function over form in this situation.

There's a theme running through all of the songs in this episode. See if you can work it out. If not, just enjoy the tunes!

Ringo Starr was 80 a couple of weeks ago. You may remember him from the TV show, Thomas The Tank Engine. There are quite a few songs recorded as a tribute to Ringo on this occasion that are now available on YouTube. Sheryl Crow does a great version of All You Need Is Love which you should check out as not only does it sound great but it highlights her skills as a musician. There's a bit at the start of the next song where Ringo comes in and it's my favourite bit of his drumming. I don't know quite why but it just feels great. 

The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever - https://youtu.be/HtUH9z_Oey8

Deborah Conway's debut solo album, String of Pearls, from 1991 is one I come back to on a regular basis. Deb's voice, combined with a very strong collection of songs and a cracking band makes this a ripper of a long player. This track, which I was fortunate enough to play live just once, sounds simple but has a depth and complexity which envelops me in a good way every time I listen to it. This is the acoustic version with only guitar, vocals and accordion. Beautiful.

Deborah Conway - Release Me - https://youtu.be/j5n5fiAzCvs

Biffy Clyro are from Kilmarnock in Scotland. The Proclaimers have a song called The Joyful Kilmarnock Blues but other than being a bit of trivia for you, that has nothing to do with anything!  Lots of reviewers categorise Biffy Clyro as being alt-rock and that sounds fair. They have a habit of writing songs with an almost anthemic sound which has made them very popular in the UK for a number of years. The song I've chosen for you highlights all of that as well as showcasing one of the two types of guitars that I wish I had in my arsenal. A Telecaster. I did have one years ago but you know the story....foolishly sold it to buy something else.

Biffy Clyro - Mountains - https://youtu.be/NfzwM4pdyxU

Mainstream pop radio isn't something that I'd ordinarily pay a lot of attention to. Whilst doing a spot of channel surfing in the car the other day the next song came on and I listened to it right through. It's not a new song by any means but it sounded so fresh and exciting. Later on I checked the video clip and remembered how much fun it was. I've never listened to anything else by this band, maybe I should. This is a groovy tune with a great clip.

OutKast - Hey Ya! - https://youtu.be/PWgvGjAhvIw

I had a listen to the first two Jane's Addiction studio albums during the week (they released a live record first). The first one, Nothing's Shocking (1988), resonated with me much more than the more popular, Ritual de lo Habitual (1990). Both are highly regarded alternative rock albums that influenced many bands and continue to do so. That spot of listening took me down the garden path to the band Soundgarden. They're a band who took grunge, rock and metal and made a sound all of their own. I clearly remember the first time I heard the next song and thinking how cool the guitar riff was. It still is. The album it's from is a complete listening experience and Chris Cornell had one of the best voices in rock music.

Soundgarden - Spoonman - https://youtu.be/T0_zzCLLRvE

Soundgarden probably liked Led Zeppelin. I run very much hot and cold with Led Zep; it really depends on my mood. At times their music can feel like overblown, pompous stadium rock and then at others it speaks to me at an almost spiritual level. Their quieter, folky moments are my favourite but the majesty and power of this track rarely disappoints.

Led Zeppelin - Kashmir (live) - https://youtu.be/PD-MdiUm1_Y

Devo is a band I need to spend more time with. Like many of you former late night music video show watchers I've seen and heard Whip It just one too many times. I have a couple of friends who regularly post/write about how good Devo are after this little bit of video, I predict much more of their music in my life. Are we not men?

Devo - Jocko Homo (live) - https://youtu.be/iIVITn7gbXo

There you go. Lots of what I think is cool music. I hope you do too. Did you work out what links all of those songs?

Rock on.
Rob

"Seven faced marble eyed transitory dream doll,
Six proud walkers on the jingle bell rainbow,
Five men writing with fingers of gold,
Four men tracking down the great white sperm whale,
Three girls waiting in a foreign dominion
Riding in the whale belly, fade away in moonlight,
Sink beneath the waters to the coral sands below.",  The Eleven, Grateful Dead, 1968.


No comments:

Post a Comment