Friday, August 21, 2020

World Wide Woozle episode #523

Hello enormous listening world,

This week I've listened to very little new music. Instead I've been concentrating on writing some liner notes for a soon to be released album recorded by a good friend. Having access to the freshly mastered, uncompressed audio is a privilege and I'm taking my time to do the job justice. Spending time with new original music I also reflected on how people might listen to these tracks. There will be an LP for those with record players, CD as well, but what I'm thinking about is the actual device. I prefer to listen to music on my relatively old stereo system through some nice B&W bookshelf speakers. There's the option of LP, CD, cassette and digital through a Chromecast device. Of course they all sound different. Add to that headphones, earbuds, bluetooth speakers and, heaven forbid, iPad or phone speakers and the way music sounds can be very different. Whilst I implore you to do better than the built in speaker on your phone or tablet, the fact is that good music will transcend the listening hardware. Mono car radios still made a good noise I seem to remember.

Hole - Boys On The Radio - https://youtu.be/luWlDmQw5iQ

I did listen to some Bee Gees after seeing Jane and Jimmy Barnes doing a wonderful cover version of a well known track. I did a two day Mental Health First Aid course and the weather stayed good for me to walk the five kilometres there both days and home once. Bee Gees were great to walk to and I was surprised at how many of their songs I knew quite well. I'll admit that I skipped a few of the slower ones but that's because I didn't want to be late to the training. 

Bee Gees - To Love Somebody - https://youtu.be/RQCT1f8IHK0

Bee Gees - Spicks and Specks - https://youtu.be/rBF6u_Qt-A0

A few years ago I bought an album by Wilko Johnson and Roger Daltrey. I still think it's one of the great rock and roll records of all time. It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that I realised Wilko had starred in Game of Thrones as Ilyn Payne, the executioner. He certainly looks mean enough on the TV for the role - well cast! This song was a hit for Wilko's band, Dr Feelgood, in 1977. This version from the album with Daltrey really shows that his voice is still very, very strong. I'd almost go so far as to say he was wasted in much of his work with The Who. But that might be overly controversial and I'm all about a quiet life for the most part. The main reason I've chosen this song is the percussive sound of Wilko's Telecaster guitar. He plays it like a drum. 

Wilko Johnson and Roger Daltrey - Sneaking Suspicion - https://youtu.be/g19iHg5-9Zw

The 1980 movie version of Flash Gordon is getting (or may have already received) a 40th anniversary release. I always thought it was a great fun movie very much as a result of Brian Blessed, Max Von Sydow and Timothy Dalton. Of course the soundtrack, by Queen, was an absolute ripper. I think the last time I saw the film was on VHS or maybe a dodgy download. I'm very much looking forward to watching it on DVD or BluRay. "Flash, Flash I love you but we only have fourteen hours to save the Earth....."


Two and a half years ago, one of my friends in the USA passed away suddenly. I knew he'd had difficulties with his mental health but it was a dreadful shock nonetheless. We talked online reasonably regularly about action figures and music. He was a great drummer and later on an excellent singer. Ken turned me onto this song by way of his cover version, the Judas Priest version and the original by Joan Baez. I'll give you all three versions because they are quite different. I heard the Joan Baez version on the radio when I was at the supermarket during the week and immediately thought of Ken.

Joan Baez - Diamonds and Rust (live 1977) - https://youtu.be/aXaqKCDGN28

Judas Priest - Diamonds and Rust (live 1982) - https://youtu.be/se9-HI_VjwE


Finally this week a classic. This is the first song I ever remember seeing a video clip for. It was released as a single in 1979 so that means I was just eight years old. For a "pop" song there's so much depth to it and for me it never gets old. I Got You went to number 1 in both Australia and Split Enz's native New Zealand.

Split Enz - I Got You - https://youtu.be/YmQlBfxh4Us

Stay warm and have a great weekend,

Rob

"Hey man I'm alive I'm takin' each day a night at a time,
Yeah I'm down, but I know I'll get by.
Hey hey hey hey, man I gotta live my life,
Like I ain't got nothin' but this roll of the dice,
I'm feelin' like a Monday, but someday I'll be Saturday night..." Bon Jovi, Someday I'll Be Saturday Night, 1994.

No comments:

Post a Comment