Saturday, March 7, 2015

Song of the Week #339

Hi there everyone.

Life hit me squarely in the face this week and that's why this episode is about 12 hours late. My apologies to those of you jonesing for a fix.

Let's start in the same spot we did last week with a recommendation from DJ MellowBud. Here's Dr John playing a song produced by Dan from the Black Keys. Tons of good tones on this tremendous track to get your toes tapping.

Dr John - Locked Down - http://youtu.be/kTcSADwLUFM

A quick reminder that the band is playing on Sunday 15/3. We'll be out near Braidwood in a cool old church playing Jason Isbell's album "Southeastern" - but you already knew that. If you want to come along then shoot George an email for directions. All the details are here.

Jason Isbell - Super 8 -  http://youtu.be/5fdSqADvjOs

DJ KarateKid asked for some love for instrumental tracks. That's not such a bad idea so I'll play a few over the coming weeks. The challenge for artists here I think is making sure that it stays interesting, plenty of tracks start off pretty well but then just go nowhere. Here's a cracker...

Dream Theater - Stream of Consciousness - http://youtu.be/gsoNl0MzDFA

Or maybe you'll like this...

Tommy Emmanuel - Classical Gas - http://youtu.be/S33tWZqXhnk

More instrumentals next time.

Well, DJ Al-ee-sun has a brand new knee and before too long she'll be setting of metal detectors all over the place. For now she's being held hostage in the rehab ward. I for one will be glad when she's home. I know Angus will be too.

I did something yesterday evening that I haven't done for just over 12 months...I rode my mountain bike. I felt that I needed a break from the grind on the road and also it was very windy. There's no wind in the forest! Add to that the fact that my local trails have been re-opened after a couple of years of closure due to major earthworks around them and I was suddenly motivated. I must admit that my skill level was pretty much that of a newbie but I had a lot of fun. For fans of Majura Pines I can report that many of the old tracks are still there and as good as ever. The new tracks are well constructed and ride really well. I think I took a wrong turn and ended up on the tail end of the downhill racing track. Wow, that was heaps of fun!

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - Ride The Night Away - http://youtu.be/4bGoKulIGTA

My good friend DJ SAB has been out and about making some films with Australian music legend John Schumann. A photo of the pair of them at a mine site this week reminded me of this song. It's not dissimilar to Cold Chisel's "Bow River" in sentiment but has a more urban focus. Great tune from a fantastic album that's never been released on CD sadly.

Redgum - Friday Night - http://youtu.be/66ST6du7GnA

In pretty bloody fabulous news, DJ SAB will team up with DJ GUZ to record our gig next week. Obviously we can't release anything as the songs all belong to Jason Isbell but we'll see what we can do in terms of giving those of you living a long way away a sneak peak into the show.

And on that note I'm out of here. Things to do, hospitals to visit, bikes to ride.

DJ Rob

"it's the same old tune, fiddle and guitar
Where do we take it from here?... Waylon Jennings, "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way" (1975).



No comments:

Post a Comment