Friday, January 27, 2012

Song of the Week #179

Hi there everyone, thanks for tuning in and I hope you enjoy the tunes.
 
Even though I went to work for a few hours on Tuesday and Wednesday this has really been the last week of school break for me. Monday will roll around soon and I'll have to wear work clothes and be serious every now and then. Time for a quick message from the Uncanny X-Men...classic!
 
 
I saw Brian Mannix from the X-Men singing live on TV recently and his voice still stands up. Great song.
 
This next tune has been mixed up and ruined recently – I heard it at the supermarket. But the original is magic and I love the clothes!
 
 
Today I had my first rehearsal for the Springsteen gigs that are coming up. Heaps of fun and it is always great to play with musicians who are heaps better than me – it makes me try harder and continue to improve my playing. We're doing the whole Nebraska album cover to cover and then some extra treats. What's funny is that with the Nebraska album being pretty much a demo, some of Bruce's timing is a bit everywhere – I said to H today that it was almost channelling John Lee Hooker – a man who plays a different number of measures in every 12 bar blues he performs on!
 
 
Some songs seem tailor made for my running playlist on the iPod. This one came on during a longer effort during the week. The sun was beating down and I needed some encouragement – this song did the trick. This isn't the greatest quality but you can't deny the energy...
 
 
Apart from listening almost exclusively to the Nebraska CD this week I've been spinning some cheesy metal tunes. This one has it all. Great guitars, great melody, great vocals and to top it off a guitar shaped like a skull. Where can I get one of those?
 
 
I can't remember if I've played this next track before but it is pretty funny and Angus plays it quite a bit so it bubbles along in my sub-conscious! Laugh along.
 
 
Yesterday was Australia Day/ I've written before about how lucky this country is as well as some of the problems we have. If you're overseas reading this then I hope you saw more on the TV than the disgrace that was the "riot" here in Canberra. Seriously, that's not what we're about.
 
I'll finish this shortish episode with a great Aussie song as it seems like the right thing to do. Here's the national anthem...
 
 
That's it. Cheers.
 
DJ Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment