Sunday, January 8, 2012

Song of the Week #176

I've been off the email and internet for over a week now and it has been an interesting experience. Usually I'm someone who is connected almost 24/7!

But, I'm only interrupting my holiday to quickly send one email and this is it. I won't be checking any of my other messages and hopefully some of you are taking a similar break.

I'll let you all know later on what we've been up to in Wellington, Hatepe, Taupo and Rotorua.

My Mum got me a book about Billy Connolly (the Scottish comedian) doing the Route 66 journey. Something that regular listeners will know that I'm keen to do sometime in the future. I'm about a third of the way through the book and it is pretty interesting. I'm only playing one song this week and while I'm sure you all know it, the origins of the name are something I read in Billy's book.

In the mid 1930's a man called Victor Green started a guidebook for African-Americans in the USA that listed black-friendly or integrated establishments. This book was known unofficially as "the grapevine" and was apparently the inspiration for a very famous song. That piece of information certainly hit a chord with me and made me think.

Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine (live at Montreux)

See you all in a week or so.

DJ Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment