Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Gig Review - Chilled Out Giraffes - Sunday 8 May, 2011

Chilled Out Giraffes is just a name I made up after checking out the gig flyer which, surprisingly enough, featured two giraffes.

George and Chris from “Junk Sculpture” played some tunes at Beyond Q in Curtin on Sunday afternoon.

I was pretty pleased that Alison and I could get to this gig as it seems every time that they have played recently we’ve been otherwise engaged!

It was a laid back affair with George singing and playing keys accompanied by Chris on the bass and singing too.

Their choice of songs was, at their own admission, those that they hadn’t played live before. The range was eclectic which is something I really enjoyed as did the rest of the folks along for the ride. A couple of songs developed into sing-alongs which just added to the feel-good nature of the show.

I’ll post the setlist at the end but one of the highlights for me was “Morningtown Ride”, a cover of the old Seekers tune. As well as being a lot of fun to sing along with it was a song that took me way back to learning the guitar. My guitar teacher just had a big chord chart for the class to follow along with and this was a regular!

Another top moment was their version of Bob Dylan’s “Like A Rolling Stone”. George played all the verses before finally getting to the chorus. And the rhythm of the lyrics really reminded me of “All The Young Dudes” by Mott The Hoople. Play those songs one after the other and hopefully you’ll see what I’m talking about.

It was great to see George and Chris as a duo for a couple of reasons. I really like keyboard/piano players that can hold their own without overdoing it. George used his keyboards as a subtle backing which meant that the songs and his voice took centre stage. Hearing and understanding song lyrics is important to me.

I’ve played with Chris on a few occasions and he has a great sounding Fender bass guitar. What I really enjoy about his technique is the smooth feel and sound. His fingers move with grace and it looks effortless.

George mentioned that he didn’t mind Bob Dylan not using the big screen at his Byron Bay show. But I like to watch musicians as well as listen. Seeing George attempting to subtly kick Chris to let him know the end of the song was coming up was great. So, if a big gig can have a big screen I’m all for it. Luckily at Beyond Q I was close enough to see what was going on!

Anyway, it was a great show that was very much appreciated and enjoyed by those who came along to watch. I hope they do it again.

Can one play too much Springsteen….probably not!

DJ Rob

Setlist:

· Moon River (Mercer/Mancini)

· Just Like A Woman (Bob Dylan)

· I’m On Fire (Bruce Springsteen)

· One Step Up (Bruce Springsteen)

· Flowers (George Huitker)

· Somewhere Over The Rainbow (Judy Garland)

· Morningtown Ride (The Seekers)

· What A Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong)

· Racing In The Street (Bruce Springsteen)

· Like A Rolling Stone (Bob Dylan)

· Master Of War (Bob Dylan)

· My City Of Ruins – (Bruce Springsteen)

· Throw Your Arms Around Me (Hunters & Collectors)

No comments:

Post a Comment