Friday, October 23, 2009

Song of the week - Episode 61

Hi there. To quote Ozzy Osbourne, “let the madness begin” !

As most of you know I did the course so that I could learn to ride a scooter (Vespa, stepthrough) on the weekend. Tons of fun and I would highly recommend it. Since getting the license squared away on Tuesday I’ve been scooting here and there. A nifty way to get around. Someone asked me if this meant I was in touch with my feminine side? I think more my “mod” side. I will make a soundtrack including The Who, The Move, Pink Floyd and The Jam!

On Monday I braved a small prop plane for a trip to Sydney to participate in a roundtable providing advice to government on legislation regarding equal employment opportunities for women. Interesting, challenging and reasonably productive in the end. Some women, and only a few, need to remember that not all men are the enemy. Enough said.

The only down side I can see to riding the scooter apart from when it rains is that I can’t listen to music. So, I loaded up the iPod and wore it around a bit as well as when I was out running.

This song came around on Wednesday night on the iPod (which was filled randomly and playing on shuffle). American metal band, Anthrax, doing an excellent cover of Joe Jackson’s “Got The Time”:

Anthrax, “Got The Time” : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtVMm95HNcU

Look, pretty much I have had a great week. I was watching the following clip on DVD and Iggy Pop introduced it by saying, “my life’s had some ups and downs, right now I’m on an up baby”. Me too, Iggy. It is a great song too.

Iggy Pop, “Candy” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd74O9PC5s4

This week’s featured song is probably influenced by my experiences on Monday. A while ago I started some tertiary qualifications in Industrial Relations and I wrote quite a bit about gender equity in the workplace. Initially I was astounded that in a fairly enlightened and wealthy nation that the gender pay gap was quite severe. This was in the 90’s and it still is a real issue.

The Dixie Chicks haven’t featured here before which shocks me because I get a kick out of a number of their songs. Good musicians who perform well live and lately write some catchy tunes. This one is all about having your own point of view and sticking to it in the face of criticism.

Dixie Chicks, “Not Ready To Make Nice” : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dblAC5uLb8

Fight the good fight.

DJ Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment