Tuesday, January 2, 2024

World Wide Woozle episode #621

Welcome to 2024 everyone. 

Where shall I start? Last time I was recovering nicely and looking forward to Christmas Day and some time off work. Well, Christmas Day was excellent but what followed was not. On the morning of Boxing Day my sciatic nerve decided it was very unhappy and things just went downhill from there. There was much pain, having to walk with a cane, anger, frustration and a lot of boredom too. Today, 2nd of January, all that remains is a very tight hip and a bit of discomfort when sleeping. I'll take that as a win though considering the screaming agony of the night of the 26th, I am amazed that no-one called the cops. So I do feel a bit sorry for myself. Other than maybe Christmas Eve and Christmas Day I've done almost nothing. Thanks to everyone who kept me going with messages, calls, visits, drug and allied health delivery (you rock Toddo), and encouragement. I had a few dark moments but here we are on the other side.

Chris Stapleton - Mountains Of My Mind - https://youtu.be/wK-_PK8ilAw

I did get a fabulous LP from my kids and it's been getting a workout. On silver vinyl nonetheless! Find Me A Cloud is the fourth album from Melbourne surf-rockers, The Grogans. It's not unlike the Jet but a bit more laid back. Good times indeed.

The Grogans - I Cannot Read Your Mind - https://youtu.be/pD14UTbeVmg

Back injury notwithstanding, 2023 was pretty good for me. I did a bit less cycling (only 10,000km), a bit more walking, played a couple of gigs and generally got on with life. I don't think though that I can emphasise enough how much having permanent work means to me. I've been in my job just over a year now and before that the last ongoing role I had was in 2018. That uncertainty messed with my head more than I cared to admit at the time but, looking back, it's very obvious. So what does 2024 look like? Well, I read back over my 2023 journal to find some clues. I seem to have the logistics of life reasonably well setup. I have a job (that I like a lot), somewhere to live, I'm pretty healthy and my kids are doing well. So perhaps it's time to actually truly enjoy life rather than just getting through week to week hoping that it doesn't all fall apart. I'm not sure what it looks like but I think that a more sensible approach to fitness might help. I've got to sort my back out and I'm pretty sure the physio is going to recommend that I vary my approach and maybe recognise that I'm in my fifties. I plan to get back to meditating because it worked for me in the past and I've got a new journal to write in.

Rollins Band - Illumination - https://youtu.be/n7MZwH24CI8

I don't know that I've got a lot else to say. The last couple of weeks are a blur of pain, medication, stretching and tiger balm.

Have a great year, be kind to each other and don't be afraid to tell people that you love them.

Rock on everyone,
Rob

"You've got to treat yourself like number one
Do you need to be reminded..."
KISS, Shout It Out Loud, 1976.

No comments:

Post a Comment