Sunday, May 7, 2023

World Wide Woozle episode #603

It has snowed here today in parts of Canberra (or maybe it was a lot of hail). Snow, rain and cold. I'm not quite foolish enough to head out on my bike in that weather so snuggle in for another instalment of the World Wide Woozle.

The Lemonheads - It's About Time - https://youtu.be/2LGpudC-bbM

Yesterday I found myself in a bad mood. I'd already planned to have a long ride and I managed to convince myself out of bed and out the door. For the most part, when I get onto my bike I'm all good, but not yesterday. I grumbled my way through the first 25 km and came quite close to turning around and going home. It was cold and I wasn't dealing well with it and the voices in my head. Then the sun came out and I pushed on; I'm stubborn. After about 50km I spotted a lump up ahead on the cycle path. It turned out to be an echidna who was also enjoying the sun. He/she was unwilling to move so I stopped and waited both to get a good look (from a distance) but to also warn other riders. When my old mate did finally wander off into the scrub I noticed that when echidnas walk it looks like their rear feet have been put on backwards! Seeing this gorgeous creature really lifted my mood.

Joey Ramone - What A Wonderful World - https://youtu.be/8IoO5nkxT_4

One of Angus' mates is working hard to carve himself out a career as a recording artist. From what I can see he's released twelve singles since 2020. One of them has over four million streams on Spotify; nice work! I can't see a link to the new tune on YouTube yet but you should be able to stream it from the link I'll post below on Spotify even if you don't have an account. In some ways this song, Monday Moods, reminds me of The Struts and in some places it's a bit Vance Joy. Triple J played the song on release day and Brodie, under the moniker YNG ONE, recently played the Groovin' The Moo festival. Here's hoping that he is wildly successful!


Another new track that caught my ear this week is from Nothing But Thieves who hail from Essex in the UK. If you're already a fan then you know a lot more than me about this band as this is the first track of theirs that I've ever listened to. It has a bit of a groove that reminds me of Michael Jackson's song Thriller, but the vocals would be at home in a Communards song. I am the least likely person to frequent a nightclub but if I did and I heard this song I'd be pretty happy. It's very danceable even for a gumby like me.

Nothing But Thieves - Welcome the the DCC - https://youtu.be/Y3FNUvJYGpE

I know that a lot of people really can't stand the next song and I'm probably one of them. So when I saw that the band These New South Whales had covered it I was both appalled and intrigued. After a quick look I still don't enjoy the original song but I love the energy that they've brought to it. Choccy milk, punk rock and mullets; what's not to like!

These New South Whales - Tubthumping - https://youtu.be/PXE9EntPZ8I

I've debated whether or not to write anything about King Charles getting his crown on and all that jazz. Look, I reckon Lionel Richie is a great singer, but surely the United Kingdom has a few of their own don't they? I am very proud that Zoe was working on the day but so very sad that paramedics (and all first responders) need to wear stab vests. Thomas Keneally put it well in an article in The Guardian when he wrote that if Australia wants to be a republic then Charles isn't the one standing in our way. It was also very cool to read that the royal carriage was built in a shed in North Head, Sydney.

Spinal Tap - The Majesty of Rock - https://youtu.be/RsOxgwF9LlM

Inspired by a couple of quotes I'd read I set off to find a book by the American author Charles Bukowski. That was more of a challenge than I'd expected. In the end I was a bit shocked at the prices online as well as at the fact that the ACT Library only held one title! After a wait, the library came through and I read Ham on Rye in two sittings. I'll definitely go searching for some more of his work. I figured that if I'd enjoyed Kerouac and Steinbeck then it might be worth a shot and I was right. Bukowski writes in a way that is almost gritty, rambling poetry and it really appeals to me. For now I'm going back to reading James Joyce. Considering that until recently I couldn't concentrate long enough to read fiction I'm pretty pleased with myself!

Francis Dunnery - Home Grown - https://youtu.be/R-fmIyFKwpU

And that's the end. Two dogs here need my attention (or do I need theirs) and I'm going to watch the football whilst listening to some very heavy tunes!

Rock on,
The Woozle

Well did you see the old man, outside the Seaman's mission?
Memories are fading with the medals that he wears.
Did you see the old man, outside the Seaman's mission?
He's just another hero from this land that doesn't care...

Anti-Nowhere League, Streets of London, 1982.







No comments:

Post a Comment