Friday, February 24, 2023

World Wide Woozle episode #597

Kia Ora, I'm back from holidays.

New Zealand was awesome. Getting there and getting back wasn't quite so fab. From the flight out to Wellington being cancelled as we were physically boarding to the closure of Sydney Airport when I was on the way home, the journey threw up a few challenges! Nonetheless, the rest of the trip was superb.

Jenny Morris - Aotearoa - https://youtu.be/j33Tlh5QnQo

Most importantly, I got to spend time with my family who live in Aotearoa. I hadn't been there since 2012 and it was three and six years respectively since I'd seen my Mum and my Brother in person. That's a long time. It was so special to hang out with my niece and nephew and to get to meet their dog, Tiny.

The Mutton Birds - Wellington - https://youtu.be/SiN0HsEI9TA

My brother and I had tickets to see Billy Bragg for a gig in February 2020 and you can all guess what happened to that show. It was postponed for three years! So getting along to see him play was always going to be special. And when I realised that my sister-in-law and her parents were coming too for the first night, well, that blew me away. Night one was Billy playing songs spanning his whole career and it didn't disappoint. Night two was stuff from his first three records (Life's A Riot with Spy vs Spy, Brewing Up With Billy Bragg and Talking With The Taxman About Poetry). Standing in an audience, most of whom knew every single lyric, was an uplifting experience. I've never been in a crowd quite so enthusiastic. Naturally, merchandise was purchased (I'd been saving for three years after all). Whilst I hope to get to see Billy tour again, seeing him belt out so many early classics, accompanied only by his guitar, will be OK as a full stop for me.

Billy Bragg - Levi Stubbs' Tears - https://youtu.be/PhmCKkRae7o

Billy did mention that a new compilation of sorts was in the works but that he was having trouble finding a particular live track. Cue The Woozle who has the song on tape and also found a rip of it on an internet archive (that is from my tape anyway). The Bragg office was happy to get my email so let's hope it makes the record. As my brother said, that's my "fifteen fame filled minutes...".

Billy Bragg - King Tide and the Sunny Day Flood - https://youtu.be/lWPZeQzN_Ws

As a kid (I spent the second half of primary school in NZ) I was fascinated by Somes Island which is in the middle of Wellington Harbour. At the time it was a quarantine station for animals so you couldn't go there. Well, it's not playing that role now and visitors are welcome. I will admit that I was dreading the twenty-five minute ferry ride to get there because I can get seasick in the bath. Thankfully that didn't happen on the day. My brother, nephew and I headed over to the island (now known by its Māori name of Matiu) and it was well worth the journey. We got to spend a couple of hours walking around bush tracks, pretending to be experts on seabirds, looking for tuataras and inspecting the old quarantine station. It turned out that Matiu Island was also used as an internment camp in WWI and WWII. The views of Wellington and surrounds from the middle of the harbour are spectacular with houses dotted all through the hills. The lack of flat ground in Wellington just means that they've managed to build houses in the most amazing places!

Dave Baxter - Whispers - https://youtu.be/lKzKRiB09FY

I got home very late on Tuesday night and was back at work on Wednesday. It's now Friday evening and to be totally honest, I need a rest. I've been back on my bike and that was sublime but today I had to have what is now a regular blood test and they took enough to start a small blood bank! I know that I'll be just fine come tomorrow but I reckon I'll leave it here for this episode and head off to the land of nod. 

Concrete Blonde - Bloodletting (The Vampire Song) - https://youtu.be/VbJmWCuMiEM

Before I finish; watch this space as I'm due to be playing a solo set at a rather groovy gig that's coming up on March 18th. I'll share more later but I'm very excited to say that my mate Todd will be joining me on a few songs.

Pō mārie,
The Woozle

"Well you know I have a love
A love for everyone I know
And you know I have a drive
To live I won't let go..."
Bonnie "Prince" Billy, I See A Darkness, 1999.

No comments:

Post a Comment