Saturday, March 11, 2023

World Wide Woozle episode #598

Hello out there all you radio fans.

Bon Jovi - Blame It On The Love of Rock 'n' Roll - https://youtu.be/VZxZAhX9gfk

It has not been a great few days. On Tuesday evening I decided that the time was right to put a new car seat cover in my car. It required all sorts of contortions from me to get all the straps sorted out. The next morning as I got into the vehicle my back decided that all that twisting had made it angry and it decided to spasm and then be very sore. Stupid back. As a result I've spent the past few days popping anti-inflammatories and doing more stretching than a bendy toy. I was back on the bike this morning (Saturday) for a very gentle 50km and I'm just a bit tight now rather than sore. I guess I'll keep working on it and also add some more glute/hamstring/hip flexor moves into my heavy metal yoga routine! Seriously though, those few days really challenged my mental health. A couple of years ago it would've been much, much worse but my resilience is a lot better than it was and I got through it almost unscathed! Onwards.

Rose Tattoo - We Can't Be Beaten - https://youtu.be/dIhRZNHuWlo

Rose Tattoo play tonight in Canberra and I had thought I would go. At the moment I think that discretion will be the better part of valour however, and I won't take a chance with my back by standing up for a couple of hours. It's a shame but at least I did see them not that long ago at the same venue.

I've already mentioned the fact that I'm playing a few songs next Saturday (18 March) at the Artists Shed in Fyshwick. The evening starts at 7pm sharp with Susan reading some of her poetry followed by Todd and I murdering a few songs that you'll probably know and then George and his band raising the musical standard of the evening! Come along for a great night. There's also part 2 of the show on Sunday afternoon with Sam talking about art, Brownie and H busking out tunes and then George and the band doing a different set. Come along and be part of the community.

Dave Fenley - Stand By Me (cover) - https://youtu.be/RPpL5wDADMQ

Years ago I bought an album by City and Colour on the strength of one song. It's a beautiful album and I will admit I got a shock to discover that it was the same vocalist as in Alexisonfire. Very different! Dallas writes heartfelt and moving songs and his vocal delivery can be heartbreaking. This is a brand new single and I'll be looking out for the album as well. If the title doesn't indicate a language warning on this one then you should pay more attention.

City and Colour - F***ed It Up - https://youtu.be/GXi-td4mjac

I made a pact with myself quite a while now to no longer rant here, or on social media. The reason was two-fold. Firstly, it really doesn't make a difference. No-one's mind is going to be changed by my raving loony, left wing, hippy thoughts. And secondly, all it did was make me more grumpy. I made a conscious decision years ago to be as chilled as possible. It doesn't matter if someone cuts in front of you in traffic. The kids at the mall are just being kids. That guy with the pink hair probably likes having pink hair. I'm comfortable wearing shorts and a flanny almost everywhere regardless of what anyone thinks. There is one thing that has started to get under my skin recently and I thought I might air it here to see if I'm just an old fuddy duddy or if my concerns are shared. Let me give you some examples...

"Excited to say that..."

"Decided to go to..."

"Had a great time representing..."

Can you see it? What has happened to sentences? Are we so lazy that we always drop the first word? "I'm excited to say that...." or "I decided to go..." or "We had a great time...". How am I meant to know who the sentence is about without the first bit? And don't get me started on how people hold a pen either. That's it, I'm going back to a quiet life.

Corinne Bailey Rae - Put Your Records On - https://youtu.be/rjOhZZyn30k

Finally, it seems as though Sleaford Mods will indeed be coming to Australia before too long. The UK duo have had New Zealand dates for ages now and had to open a second show in Auckland. They aren't a band that I'd listen to every day but I'd be keen to experience them in a live setting. It's gritty, honest music. 

Sleaford Mods - UK GRIM - https://youtu.be/loiI8M3U7gA

Rock on brothers and sisters,
The Woozle

"If I could start again
A million miles away
I would keep myself
I would find a way..."
Johnny Cash, Hurt (Nine Inch Nails cover), 2002.

No comments:

Post a Comment