Monday, August 23, 2021

World Wide Woozle episode #553

G'day and welcome back.

First things first. The songs this week are available for you to listen to on a Spotify playlist (as are last weeks). If anyone actually uses this please let me know or I won't bother otherwise! The sound quality is a million times better on Spotify than on YouTube. Click here for this week and here for last week!

Lockdown continues here in Canberra and most of the country too. I try not to rant too much these days but people flagrantly disregarding what we're being asked to do really gets up my nose. Seriously...we're allowed 60 minutes of outdoor exercise a day and I see updates on Strava all the time of folks out there riding for much more than an hour. They must be really special. Personally, I'd like nothing more than to hop on my bike for a three hour cruise (maybe I'd end up on Gilligan's Island) but come on everyone, do the right thing. Here's a parody of Scotland's First Minister telling people what to do....but you know it makes sense. There's a language warning for this one.

Jane Godley - Nicola speaks - https://youtu.be/uZF82buIAdQ

This is my first time working from home for more than a few hours. Last year, as an essential worker, I was still out and about but this time is different. We're using phone calls, tele-health and a range of other means to try and do our work. And although I understand why it has to be this way I find it very difficult. I get it, I'm lucky to have a job at all, but I do worry a lot about the people I work to support.

Carley Pearce - You Know Where To Find Me - https://youtu.be/vVM_4fAEKCI

Spring is well and truly on the way here in the national capital. Wattles are in bloom, the temperature is regularly above freezing overnight and, you guessed it, magpies have begun their yearly campaign against cyclists! I'm looking forward to three months of ever decreasing available cycling routes combined with arm waving and bad language when I'm surprised by feathered fiends.

Frenzal Rhomb - Bird Attack - https://youtu.be/L426wOBOdMg

Last week I mentioned Melbourne hard rockers, Galaxy. Well, after listening more to their last album I've jumped on the pre-order for one that comes out in November. I figure that now is the time to support local musicians as much as possible. One day the pandemic will be over and if I can make some regular purchases to help other musicians stay afloat then that might mean that some cool bands survive and their members get to eat and pay rent. You can support loads and loads of Australian (and international) bands, both big and small, by using the Bandcamp website.

Presidents Of The USA - Video Killed The Radio Star - https://youtu.be/9PldYq3KHXc

If you're interested in guitars and music and have some time to spare then I can heartily recommend the Icons series being put out by Gibson guitars on YouTube. It's a growing series of extended interviews with well known guitarists...and it's not trying to sell you a guitar. I watched the latest one with Dave Mustaine from Megadeth talking about his life and involvement in music. It definitely surprised me and was very interesting and well made. There are five episodes so far; Mustaine, Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath), and Bob Rock (producer).

Megadeth - Holy Wars...The Punishment Due - https://youtu.be/9d4ui9q7eDM

I've played the next song in two different bands now and it never gets old. I realise that it's one of Nick's better known songs but that doesn't really matter. It's popular for a very good reason.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - The Ship Song (live) - https://youtu.be/t4Vl27zlDhM

Trying to stay positive and seeing the good side of a situation is something that I've been intentionally trying to do for quite a while now. Of course it doesn't always work but I'd rather not be a grumpy old sod every day who thinks the whole world is against him. Laugh at yourself and worry less about other people. It works.

Timbuk 3 - The Future's So Bright (I Gotta Wear Shades) - https://youtu.be/8qrriKcwvlY

I've chosen the next song, not only because the weather here is changeable but because it sort of relates how a lot of people are feeling at the moment. Everything happens at once and then nothing happens at all. Also, it's a beautiful track, one of the best from Crowded House. Maybe I'll learn to play it.

Crowded House - Four Seasons In One Day - https://youtu.be/si3dBlNdifE

Time for something new I hear you say. Well, OK then. Slowly Slowly are from Melbourne and this track is one that I heard for the first time a few hours ago. Spotify can show you what your friends have been listening to and I spotted this one in DJ Bogler's feed. The tune definitely has an 80s pop influence as well as a smooth. modern indie groove. If you like The Preatures, Stevie Wonder or Lime Cordiale then this might do it for you. 

Slowly Slowly - The Level - https://youtu.be/w4RQrUGnO2M

When lockdown hit here in the ACT, it was quick. My guitar amplifier was locked away at our rehearsal place in Queanbeyan and I couldn't get it. Now that lockdown has been extended I'm itching to play my electric guitars again. I'm not really into amp modelling (where you plug the guitar straight into a computer or tablet and then software emulates an amplifier) so I decided to bite the bullet and purchase a small amp for home use. Well....arriving in the next week or so will be an old amplifier with my name on it. Watch this space; it could get loud.

The Searchers - Sugar and Spice - https://youtu.be/80oMW_t4svM

And on that note it's time to sign off.

Keep smiling everyone and find a dog to cuddle if you can,
The Woozle

"And in the end,
The love you take,
Is equal to the love you make."
The Beatles, The End, 1969.

No comments:

Post a Comment