Friday, January 29, 2021

World Wide Woozle episode #542

Here we go again. Another musical journey…and more.

Being a parent is a roller coaster ride. Now that Zoë has made it public I can talk about the fact that she has had Covid-19 and subsequently recovered. She tested positive a few days before Christmas and, in true Zoë form, was more worried about the effect on those around her. Given her occupation, it wasn't a shock that she got the virus. This didn't make it any easier though for her or her family! Zoë suffered stoically and with good humour (most of time) as she lost her sense of taste and smell and was nauseous and tired. Thankfully she has now recovered and is back at work. She's also now been vaccinated and has been spending time doing the final ambulance driving course (the driving courses had been on hold as a result of the pandemic).

Sammy Hagar - I Can't Drive 55 - https://youtu.be/RvV3nn_de2k

My kids both have an amazing work ethic. I spoke to Angus last week and he'd just finished 14 days straight at work. It's fair to say that he was a bit tired. I think he's looking forward to going back to his massage course in a week or so and of course completing it in the middle of the year. He's a man with plans and I think that is very cool.

Spacey Jane - Here Comes The Sun (Triple J Like A Version) - https://youtu.be/X9-QYrBEufw

Ghost are a fun band and I've said it before, you shouldn't take them too seriously. This time around singer Papa Emeritus IV has teamed up with The Hellacopters for a Stones cover...

Papa Emeritus IV with The Hellacopters - Sympathy for the Devil - https://youtu.be/Soq9xHAVfvc

Another band that is usually a ton of fun are Weezer. From the old Buddy Holly and Sweater Songs through to today there's always been something worth the price of admission. Their last couple of albums had a bit of a Beach Boys vibe going on coupled with quirky lyrics. This one is in the same ballpark and the clip certainly adds a bit more.

Weezer - All My Favorite Songs - https://youtu.be/AGPdXYG1msg

If you haven't heard it yet via Facebook or a direct link, I've released an original song and put it up on Soundcloud. This one has lyrics written by my friend Sam and was recorded, mixed and produced by George (who also played some very tasty keyboards). I linked to a live version of the song in the last episode but the studio recording that we did was very much how I heard the song in my head when I put it together. Thanks to all who have already provided feedback; it's very much appreciated. For those who are interested, I'm playing my Taylor Big Baby acoustic guitar and we just stuck a microphone in front of it and hit the record button. George is playing a fire-engine red Nord keyboard. The whole thing was recorded, mixed and tweaked using the Logic music recording software. It took us about 3 hours in total.

Rob with George - Smooth Ride - https://soundcloud.com/robwoozle/smooth-ride

Mike Campbell played with Tom Petty for almost fifty years. His current band, The Dirty Knobs, sounds a bit like Tom but has a bit of a rougher edge. It's good, honest rock and roll from guys that have nothing to prove. I do like a record where the band sounds like they are genuinely enjoying themselves.

The Dirty Knobs - Wreckless Abandon - https://youtu.be/n_Cfsktanus

I had a chat with a guy yesterday who had been on tour supporting Suicidal Tendencies; what a trip that must have been! When I told him that I had a cassette that I made in 1988 with ST's debut album one one side and Painters and Dockers Bucket on the other side he just smiled. Yeah, that was a great tape! The ST album, which was released in 1983, remains one of my all-time favourites. 

Suicidal Tendencies - Subliminal - https://youtu.be/Kxmva8FcsxA

Painters and Dockers - In My Mind (live) - https://youtu.be/7y2nNwgTlKY

That'll do. Thanks for reading.

Oh, and I got to cuddle a baby miniature chihuahua today at work; that was rather groovy!

Bye,
Rob

"They're justified and they're ancient and they drive an ice cream van..." Justified & Ancient, The KLF, 1991.

No comments:

Post a Comment