Friday, January 1, 2021

World Wide Woozle episode #540

Hi everyone, welcome back.

I've never really been interested in celebrating the new year. Even when we played the big production gigs with the band at Vivaldi's the actual date held little significance for me. It's just another day. And whilst I understand that people want to be rid of 2020, it isn't as if a magic wand has been waved overnight and everything is suddenly fab-a-doodle. I'm not aiming to sound like a misery guts, really I'm not, it's just never been my thing to mark a new year.

Last night, however, was a bit different. Here in Canberra we are very fortunate that there are relatively few restrictions about gathering and celebrating. We aren't ignoring the virus, it's just that we've remained fairly well isolated from it. DJ SamTee asked George and I if we'd consider playing a few songs for the evening and after consulting for about fifteen seconds we agreed. Over the past few weeks we've been rehearsing as a duo along with backing tracks that Bing has spent days and days crafting. The party was fun, the support act was me playing a solo set, and our main set seemed to go down rather well! There was dancing, singing and just the right amount of food, drink and frivolity! We played a few of George's original tracks from his forthcoming LP and then finished the nights with a few selected classic tracks. I particularly enjoyed playing these two covers...

The Runaways - Cherry Bomb - https://youtu.be/yTiVCaNY1rI

Spy vs Spy - Don't Tear It Down - https://youtu.be/gOeJshHFpPI

The guitar sounds in the Spy vs Spy song are the ones closest to those that I hear in my head and try to achieve with my electric guitar. It's that jangly, swirly sound that I really dig.

Whilst rehearsing, George suggested that we add an old Midnight Oil track which is relatively obscure. After creating the backing ensemble and us running through it he thought it would be good to record the whole thing and make a video. Although the original track is from 1996, the lyrics and sentiment remain so relevant today and I hope you enjoy and appreciate it. Huge thanks to George for including me in a fun project.

On a personal note, the recording features me on electric and acoustic guitars. I used my old red electric guitar which I bought with my Mum in December 1987. That guitar has seen a lot of miles and is still the one I feel most comfortable playing even though I have much fancier equipment here. I remember after having it for a few months that my Dad remarked that if he'd known how much I would play it that he would have considered getting me one years earlier. I'm very fortunate to have family that has always encouraged me to play and sing.

So, here it is. George on vocals, keys, drums, space noises, bass, everything else I've forgotten and me on electric and acoustic guitars.

George Huitker featuring yours truly - Time To Heal - https://vimeo.com/495481831/9dbed1bd69

Oh yeah...I went for my first bike ride today since my car accident and ten hours later the smile is still there. I think 2021 is going to be the year of me smiling as much as I can.

Rock on,

Rob

"...I'm movin' on up now
Getting out of the darkness
My light shines on...", Primal Scream, Movin' On Up, 1991.

No comments:

Post a Comment