Sunday, May 31, 2020

World Wide Woozle episode #511

Last time we were all together I was getting ready to head out to a gig. Well, it was a ripper. The food was great, the venue was decorated with skulls and candles and the band - well they were on fire. It may also have been the loudest gig I've been to since Motorhead back in 1991. I don't need to write much more about it as the band have posted a live clip from the show....

Witchskull - March of Winter - https://youtu.be/Pb4FxyJS_uk

It's a long weekend here in the ACT as Monday is Reconciliation Day. There's a lot I could say about this topic but I've just written 750 words about the value of cultural diversity in the workplace and I think my brain is addled. Here's the short version - diversity is important, we weren't here first and since our government and mining companies seem hell bent on not attempting to seriously consider the first Australians, it's left to you and I. A good place to start is having a look at your level of unconscious bias. You might be surprised, I know I was, and I do my best to be open minded and inclusive. I know it's a massive cliche but if you do act locally you can make a difference. If that's too complicated, then just don't be an arsehole.

Briggs - The Children Came Back - https://youtu.be/3-wMbFntrTo

This week I spent a lot of time listening to a band called American Aquarium. DJ HatDoctor referred to them as earnest alt-country and I guess he's right. It's a bit like if The Clash and Bruce Springsteen formed a harder edged country group. It's good stuff and they have a new album just released called Lamentations. Lyrics are important to me and combined with the honest delivery of singer BJ Barham and a cracking band I've really enjoyed it. I wonder if it's actually possible to buy a hard copy in a record store here or if I'll have to order online.

American Aquarium - The World Is On Fire - https://youtu.be/V8NdLznhx_A

American Aquarium - Tough Times - https://youtu.be/0SbP7GKTyr0

One of Australia's most successful bands were called Powderfinger. Their first album in 1994 was called Parables For Wooden Ears and, at the time it was a great rock album. I'm not sure exactly what happened to the band after that but, and it's just my opinion, they got really boring. Maybe they forgot how to rock. Kudos to them though for reforming to play an online concert that raised funds for charity. Loads of people liked it and that's cool. Here's what they used to be like back in '94....

Powderfinger - Tail - https://youtu.be/RF3racPCYDY

I've been trying hard to write a song this week (and last). Just when I think I've got something good I realise that it's a complete rip-off of something I've just been listening to. I've successfully re-written songs by KISS, Neil Young and strangely enough, Diana Ross. It's the same song but you might say I'm having trouble finding the right direction for it. Just for a laugh, here are the three songs I've manage to steal from so much that it's waaaay too obvious. 

KISS - Sure Know Something - https://youtu.be/PSURhxNYmDw

Neil Young - Comes A Time (live) - https://youtu.be/JCkZolk07lM

Diana Ross - Chain Reaction - https://youtu.be/ZuEHtZ0bn1I

Back to the drawing board for me I guess. Also, songwriters, never start in A minor or it'll end up being a Redgum song.

I wrote a bit more about mental health on Facebook the other day. I hadn't planned to but the song I was listening to just made me want to write. There are so many "self-help" videos, channels, Instagram feeds, websites, books and the list goes on. It just seemed to me that, for blokes, if you don't have a beard, a sleeve tattoo, the body of Rambo, tight chinos and a muscle shirt then you didn't fit in. Life's not like that. OK, if you do have all of those things that's perfectly fine but the plethora of almost clone-like self help gurus just got to me. I'm all good I assure you, I was just grumpy!

Bodyjar - Not The Same - https://youtu.be/36a6KI6o9VY

What a treat this week should be. The highlight will be an expensive and likely painful visit to the dentist on Wednesday. Apparently I've been a bit of a drama queen about this but the gas, the needles, the drill, the superglue, the crown and the jackhammer all have me a little bit worried. I've not been good with the dentist since I was a kid. Hopefully the laughing gas does its job. If not and you hear an explosion at about midday on Wednesday it was me.

Gillian Welch & Willie Nelson - I'm Not Afraid To Die - https://youtu.be/c4vBXDNyhqg

And here we'll wrap up for another episode. One of my acoustic guitars has just come back from getting its neck adjusted. With any luck it'll help me in coming up with some new tunes. If not, I'll probably end up with another song that sounds like Joelene.

Later y'all,

Rob

"...where is Def Leppard?
Where is Motley Crue?
Why do all my lyrics sounds like Dr. Seuss?...", Death To All But Metal, Steel Panther, 2009
(VERY BIG EXPLICIT LANGUAGE WARNING FOR THIS ONE. DON'T WATCH IT IF YOU'RE EASILY OFFENDED OR HAVE NO SENSE OF HUMOUR. NOT FOR KIDS.)

No comments:

Post a Comment