Sunday, May 24, 2020

World Wide Woozle episode #510

The slight delay with the release of this episode is directly related to me having an essay to write. Now that the struggle to form coherent ideas and get them down on "paper" is over for a while at least, let's get back to the music. 

H-Block 101 - Group Dynamics - https://youtu.be/t1q4tu1zZ48

Starting off locally, I'm going to a gig tonight. Yes, you read that correctly. In these disease ridden, media saturated, manic hand washing times there is a show to attend. And, oh my goodness, it promises to be a ripper. I'm heading out to see Witchskull play a 45 minute set which will no doubt showcase their new album. Now, before some of you go into 'Today Tonight' outrage mode, here's what makes the show interesting. Witchskull are playing four shows over two evenings. There's a session starting at 17:30hrs and another beginning at 20:00hrs. At each show there are ten people watching. Each punter has their own table, appropriately distanced from the others, and will be well fed by the friendly staff at The Basement whilst listening to the band. Hats off to the band and the venue for putting on such a cool show. I believe it is also being recorded for broadcast later on. The thing is, in more normal times I would've quickly bought tickets to a Witchskull show. They are a great live band and heavy metal crowds are generally awesome to be in. This way I still get to see the band and have a meal into the bargain. Rock on! Full report next time.

Witchskull - This Silent Place - https://youtu.be/1uJse3pWOJ8

In 2009, Bruce Springsteen released the album Working On A Dream. I'd been a huge fan of his previous record and remember being a little underwhelmed by this one. Recently I revisited it and, while I think it's a solid album, it still didn't move me. Ah, but YouTube and their algorithms are fickle beasts and they threw up a live version of track 1, Outlaw Pete. What music critics might like to call the x-factor, and what I think of as 'oomph" is evident in this version and it makes a huge difference to the way I listen to it. Wow!

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Outlaw Pete (live 2009) - https://youtu.be/CKJtyeidL7Y

Onto the new Jason Isbell album, Reunions. Actually, this is just going to be a placeholder. I've been listening to the record quite a bit and I'm going to do it the justice of a little more time to sink in. Let me say this however, the reviewers that refer to this as Jason's "rock and roll album" are hearing something very different to me. Look, so far, so good but tune in next time for more. Here's a track from Jason and the band that you'll struggle to get on LP (it's only on vinyl) as it was a Record Store Day release a few years ago. Somehow I got a sweet deal on an unplayed copy via the Discogs website but it seems to go for silly money now. 

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Can't You Hear Me Knocking (live in the studio) - https://youtu.be/inW8y3dDS3Q

I had a conversation with an old school friend last week. We hadn't spoken in maybe twenty years (not counting Facebook). He's one of the people I credit for my wide range in musical tastes. And he's also the guy that introduced me to AC/DC. Anyway, we got to talking about live shows we'd enjoyed (or disliked) and he asked me what the best live show I'd ever been to was. I like to think that every live show has something to offer but obviously some are more enjoyable than others. The first big rock gig I went to was amazing simply for the sheer power and that was Motorhead. AC/DC was a religious experience for me on The Razor's Edge tour as it was the first time I saw them and I was such a huge fan. Battlefield Band at the West Gippsland Arts Centre in the late 80s was an eye opener that changed the way I thought about my musical heritage. But the live shows I enjoy the most are those that are unexpectedly good. For example, I didn't really expect Transvision Vamp to be any good live and I was so wrong. In the mid-90s I saw Roxette play live here in Canberra. I expected the pop drivel of The Look but what I got was a full on, guitar driven rock and roll show. It was truly amazing. That feeling of, oh yeah! has only been repeated once since then and that was fairly recently when I saw The Preatures. I've seen some great performances but Roxette and The Preatures far exceeded my expectations and both times I became an instant fan of the band.

Roxette - Sleeping In My Car (live 2001) - https://youtu.be/1vpS_-nN3JM

The Preatures - Better Than It Ever Could Be (2017) - https://youtu.be/JoXNn4Gjybk

I was watching an old Rancid (punk rock) concert during the week. It was pretty good fun with loads of tunes I knew. I did reflect though that I'd not listened to any of their more recent stuff or music made by members of the band in other guises. A couple of hours later I was pogo dancing around the lounge room (which is the only way to dance in my compact abode!). Lars also plays in a group called The Old Firm Casuals. It's not a million miles from Rancid as you'd expect but the guitars are heavier and there's a bit less of a ska influence and more straight rock and roll. It's good stuff. Jump up and down to this one....

The Old Firm Casuals - Casual Rock 'n Roll - https://youtu.be/xZMG2OagLn0

It's 10 years now since the untimely passing of one of the greatest voices in heavy metal and rock. RIP Ronnie James Dio. A guy who was small in stature but a giant on the world stage.

Dio - Man On The Silver Mountain - https://youtu.be/dAVJO18j-do

Lastly this week, a return to Midnight Oil. Since playing a lot of their music live and spending hours and hours learning to play it I haven't listened to them very much. But this week DJ Macca listed one of their albums, Place Without A Postcard (1981), as one he really liked. I thought to myself that I'd never really listened to it as an album so I put that to rights. This is the Oils before they were huge and the surf-punk influence is still very evident. I'll give you two tracks from it....one is possibly my all time fave Oils song and the other is one that I must admit is amazing and I'd forgotten all about it....

Midnight Oil - Armistice Day - https://youtu.be/e4xwg1tBHxI

Midnight Oil - Brave Faces - https://youtu.be/8UvHoXVIi_0

Stay frosty folks,
Rob

"...music is crap, aliens told me so...", Music Is Crap, Custard, 1998.

No comments:

Post a Comment