Wednesday, February 6, 2019

World Wide Woozle episode #471

Rock on everyone...it's time for another fun filled, excitement packed episode with yours truly spinning the tracks.

Firstly, thanks to all the well wishers who sent positive vibes my way following my adventures with a pinched nerve and the green whistle. I'm glad to say that I am much improved. My foot and lower leg are still a little bit numb but it's all definitely improving. I was back on my bike for the first time this morning for a cruisy 55km with DJ ChuckHighPants.

As is the norm of late, let's head straight into the two albums I listened to this week from the "100 albums you should own on vinyl" book.

Album 9/100 - Bon Iver (self titled, 2011)
I'll point out at the outset that this won the Grammy for Best Alternative Music Album in 2012. I think it's horrible. At first I was almost drawn in by the lush instrumentation; it sounded good. And then they started singing. Or did they? I have no idea as any vocals are buried in great huge catherdral-esque amounts of reverb and double tracking. It's pretty much unintelligible for the whole album. Now, I've listened to a lot of Death Metal where growled, guttural vocals are the norm so I'm used to having to reach for a lyrics sheet. But Bon Iver are an Indie Folk band. I did my duty and listened to this album three times through and I can safely say that I never want to hear it again. It was musically dull, almost vanilla, and I've already complained about the vocals. Don't bother with this one.

Album 10/100 - Ella Fitzgerald - Like Someone In Love (1957)
This album was an absolute pleasure to listen to. Smooth, silky, emotional and sublime. Sure; most of the songs are now considered jazz standards but the musicianship and the vocal delivery is stunning. The introduction to the first track reminded me of the feeling I got as a kid when the Disney theme began. I don't know much about jazz but this is a great listen. If you found the Sinatra album a little hard to feel the beat with (as I did) then you'll enjoy this. 

Ella Fitzgerald - What Will I Tell My Heart - https://youtu.be/NQKn7rYPosg

After those two polar opposite listening experiences I'm almost scared to dip back into the book for another two long players!

The Specials have a brand new album called Encore. It was released on the 1st of February. Those of you unfamiliar with the band would do well to listen to their classic tracks such as "Ghost Town" and "Message To You Rudy". Formed in 1977, the band play their own take on Ska and 2 Tone music. If you know the band Madness then you're in the sonic ballpark. There are three original members of the band still playing but the sound is still spot on. The new record pulses, grooves and skanks all over the place making it impossible to keep your feet still. There are great squidgy bass and keyboard sounds, reggae wah guitar, a great brass section and drums to make you cry. It's that good. And that's before you get to the lyrics which are pure urban poetry put to music. They cover a wide range of topics including race, politics and gender and the band aren't afraid to say what they think. I'm all ready to head out and buy myself a pork pie hat and some loafers!

The Specials - BLM - https://youtu.be/A63FoJHjXjs

The Specials - Embarrassed By You - https://youtu.be/AUjpF8uaqWs

DJ Lozza let me know that (Johnny) Diesel is playing a charity gig at EPIC here in Canberra on 31 March. It's a gold coin donation with funds going to the Rise Above Cancer Convoy. Diesel is a great guitarist. So much so that Fender have created a Diesel Signature Fender Stratocaster. I reckon it'd definitely be worth throwing a few bucks in the charity bucket and seeing Diesel into the bargain.

Diesel - Don't Need Live (live) - https://youtu.be/g1AdblZ7Zk4?t=53

Canberra champions of all things heavy, Witchskull, have just released a new music video. If you like bands like Black Sabbath, Kyuss or even Soundgarden then check this out. Every time I listen to them I'm amazed that three guys can make such a huge sound. When they're in your town be sure to get out and see them. This is world class metal.

Witchskull - Breathing Blue Light - https://youtu.be/TlZjK5b58X8

As a result of a Tweet from Jason Isbell I ended up listening to the next song. Josh Ritter isn't someone I've heard of before but is now on my list to explore. This song sort of reminds me of the only Bob Dylan album I've liked so far (Slow Train Coming). Anyway, see what you think and let me know. There's a bit of a Tom Petty influence in there too I reckon.

Josh Ritter - Old Black Magic - https://youtu.be/37jimrogxMw

Bob Mould also has a new album about to be released (Sunshine Rock, Feb 8th). The single release is called Lost Faith and it's out now. I've at times found Bob either essential binge listening or the complete opposite. This single is true to his past work and will no doubt rekindle my enthusiasm for his back catalogue!

Bob Mould - Lost Faith - https://youtu.be/k5F-aj171QM

Finally, a shout out to my mate DJDeeDubya. He let me know that The Guardian has an email update service about music called Sleeve Notes. How I have missed out on this for years remains a mystery! They do tend to be a bit UK focussed but there's quite a good range of music articles and reviews there. Thanks!

Joe Jackson - Sunday Papers (live) - https://youtu.be/DZ3NDP-Qiak

Have a great week out there folks.

Rob

"...so you think I've got a funny face,
well I've got no worries..", Cum On Feel The Noize, Slade, 1973

No comments:

Post a Comment