Friday, February 22, 2019

World Wide Woozle episode #474

Two episodes in a week? Sorry; it's just me trying to get back to my regular Friday afternoon timeslot!

Album 15/100 - Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time (1986)
Initially I thought that this was an odd choice as Iron Maiden have a lot of albums, many of them highly regarded. But, as I do with every long player reviewed as part of this 100 essential albums series, I listened all the way through three times (some get more listens but three is the minimum). What struck me is that "Somewhere In Time" doesn't have a dud track on it. As an album it flows well and I felt no need to skip through any tracks. I took a look back at other Iron Maiden albums as well and, in my opinion, this one stacks up as the best as an entire listening experience. I am a huge Maiden fan but most of their albums have a track or two that I could take or leave; not this one. As with all Iron Maiden, especially the earlier releases, the album artwork is superb. There's heaps there for the true fan to nerd all day about. This was the first IM album to feature guitar synthesizers (Seventh Son of a Seventh Son later on would feature keyboards) and at the time this was almost sacrilegious for a metal band. Not to fear though, it doesn't detract from the sound, quite the opposite in fact. So, throw the album on your turntable, cassette deck, CD player, audio stream or whatever and enjoy it....the whole thing right through. Then take into account the fact that this album was made after being on tour for 331 days...top shelf stuff.

Iron Maiden - Stranger In A Strange Land - https://youtu.be/UJsl-bB7lmk

Iron Maiden - The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - https://youtu.be/-mZTKzgCLLE

Album 16/100 - Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (2013)
Electronic music really isn't my thing. Once in a while I like a little bit of Kraftwerk but other than that I'm happy to let it pass me by. And then I listened to this album...wow...it's great! My first spin was on the stereo whilst I was doing a bit of cleaning up and I couldn't help stopping to listen more closely. Then I had another session with it during some time sitting on the bus. It's exquisite through headphones. I understand that the band (Guy and Thomas) recruited some well known names and studio musicians to help them with this album; a departure from working by themselves. The result is a joyous celebration of pop/club/funk music. Yes, there's the mega hit, "Get Lucky" included but it's track 8 and everything before it (and after it) is just as good. I'd definitely recommend this album, again as a whole, to anyone who likes good music (as well as those of you who may, like me, not be really into electronica).

Daft Punk - The Game of Love - https://youtu.be/ajGKWk0auOc

Daft Punk - Giorgio by Moroder - https://youtu.be/zhl-Cs1-sG4

Keith Urban is a massively underrated guitarist. Recently he combined with John Mayer as part of CMT's Crossroads series. That's the same series that brought us the excellent gig featuring Def Leppard with Taylor Swift (it's here). Have a look at this song that ends the show...not only is it a great version but both Keith and John do well covering one of the best pop singers ever; George Michael.

Keith Urban and John Mayer - Faith (live) - https://youtu.be/6YhWJ_JpGOU?t=2276

Let's go even further left than left field, waaaaay outside the square and potentially outside your comfort zone. Brighde Chaimbeul comes from the Isle of Skye in Scotland and on this album she plays the small pipes. Her debut album, "The Reeling" is nothing short of astounding. The small pipes (a lot smoother and less harsh than the standard bagpipes you may be familiar with) can be haunting, melancholy or joyous. The album was recorded live, in a church, without overdubs. It's on Spotify and I strongly suggest that if you're in a peaceful mood, or needing some peace, that you give it a chance.

Brighde Chaimbeul - An Léimras / Harris Dance - https://youtu.be/MEqG6g55eJU

From the pipes...to Elvis. The 50th Anniversary edition of the '68 Comeback Special is now available. 5 CDs and two BluRay discs chock full of Elvis goodness for you to binge on. There's all the tracks you know as well as outtakes and rehearsals. I can't wait to dig in and have a good listen.

Elvis Presley - Heartbreak Hotel (live) - https://youtu.be/WVxL1e7ZGLw

There are so many amazing artists out there that for whatever reason you never get to hear about. Last week, while researching Led Zeppelin, I came across this footage from a backyard show. Seriously, this is one of the best blues guitarists I've ever heard; it blew my mind. Listen in...this is how it's done...

Joanna Connor Band - Walking Blues (live) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSwoM7WIy5M&feature=youtu.be&t=100

Before I go, don't forget H and the Junk Sculpture Jr. boys are at Beyond Q this Sunday at 5pm...be there and support local music as well as our friends in Tingha.

Have a great weekend everyone,
Rob

"Echoes of reggae,
comin' through my bedroom wall...", Ruby Soho, Rancid, 1995


No comments:

Post a Comment