Tuesday, January 29, 2019

World Wide Woozle episode #470

This week's episode is a bit late. This is for two reasons. One is that I was away Fri/Sat/Sun participating in a cycling event. And the other involved me, a pinched nerve, an ambulance and a lot of pain. Currently I'm full of a range of drugs to dull the pain between my glutes and my knee so please excuse me if I go off on a tangent! The other complicating factor is that I set my MacBook Air off on an update and thanks to the disaster that we call the NBN, it might take a while. Typing on the iPad is less than amusing.

Judas Priest - Painkiller - https://youtu.be/nM__lPTWThU

Album 7/100 - The Velvet Underground & Nico (self titled, 1967). 

Hate is a strong word. I hate racism and cruelty to animals. And whilst I don't hate this album, I do intensely dislike it. One review I read described it as an "intense collage of noise". For me a lot of it is simply noise with no redeeming factors. The guitar work often sounds like the equivalent of random atonal chicken scratching and the violin seems just there to offend. The drums evoke the sound of a three year old thumping wet cardboard boxes. Lou Reed has a good voice but here it's like he's trying to be the beat poet version of Dylan. And Nico...well her voice is passable but it's the lite version of so many others from that time. Put simply I don't understand the appeal of this album. 

The Velvet Underground & Nico - Sunday Morning - https://youtu.be/3qK82JvRY5s

Album 8/100 - Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf (2002)

One of the best band names ever. You can interpret it in any number of ways. 
This is the third album from the band and it's the one that garnered them mainstream popularity. You get hard rock, stoner rock, grunge and doom all mixed up with quite a light touch vocally. I think what sets QOTSA apart from many of their contemporaries is the vocals. They're often almost playful and in sharp contrast to the pounding rhythms. The album is also rather groovy as it includes commentary from a made up radio station. If you like Alice In Chains or Soundgarden then you'll like this. 
In 2017, singer, guitarist and band leader Josh Homme kicked a photographer's camera into her face at a gig. There's no excuse for that and other than for this review I refuse to listen to his music. 

QOTSA - God Is In The Radio - https://youtu.be/zzIfpkeHamw

On Saturday I rode in the Cadel Evans Road Ride which took place in Geelong. The course was 115km long and with kind weather and great company from my Northside Velo mates it was a great day out. It was also fantastic to catch up with current Australian Crit racing champion, Beck Wiasak and to watch the women's pro race in the afternoon. My Dad was also out on the course cheering us on (on the biggest hill imaginable!). If you're a cyclist then you should put this ride on your "must do" list. It's superbly organised and the course is a ripper. 

Kane Gang - Respect Yourself (live 1985) - https://youtu.be/9QGXa13kmos

Right then...New Year's resolutions. Usually I don't bother but this year is different. With the words of my former triathlon coach ringing in my ears I set out to train properly for something that I struggle with; chin ups. I've always been bad at them and in the Army I could do the bare minimum. So I set out to get some upper body strength. But, I went a bit hard too soon and twinged my back. It was just annoying for a few days and got much worse yesterday. This morning something happened and I was suddenly  immobilised and in agony. I rang the ambulance and Alison and they came quickly to help me out. The upshot is that I've probably pinched a nerve somewhere and I need to wait for it to relax. That's all fine but I can stand up but not lie or sit! It'll be a while before I go back to the chin up bar. 

Rollins Band - Your Number Is One - https://youtu.be/TKj7Wuy5QHU

Rival Sons are an American rock band from Long Beach CA. I spotted this rather magnificent cover version this morning. Great song and a really top effort. I hope Olivia Newton John sees it,

Rival Sons - Hopelessly Devoted To You (live acoustic) - https://youtu.be/uCLrmZ0eQW8

Weezer have just released a whole raft of cover versions. Perhaps inspired by the success of "Africa". They're good but not that far from the originals. I'm all for bands having fun and throwing in the odd cover but this seems a bit much. Especially when they write excellent songs of their own....such as this one:

Weezer - Perfect Situation - https://youtu.be/jwv-iRvyDZg

Years ago, after the death of my mate Glenn, I tried to get into Miles Davis as he'd been a big fan. But no, I can't do it and I've made a decent effort. There's only one album of his that I like and actually I really, really like it. The first time I heard it was on vinyl at a holiday house with my brother a few years ago. It's an album that I can put on anytime and I always enjoy it. Must get a vinyl copy one day!

Miles Davis - Concierto de Aranjuez pt 1 - https://youtu.be/CsWidlDldVk

I was searching Spotify for some new, or interesting, folk type music but all I got was the processed cheese version of country music...yawn! Even some alt-country could've been ok but it wasn't happening so I searched further afield. What's folk music? Well it's generally acoustic music where the story and lyrics are at the forefront. Think Pete Seeger, Tom Paxton, Woody Guthrie. Originally one of the main purposes of folk music was to pass stories through to subsequent generations. Billy Bragg and Steve Earle straddle the boundaries between folk, punk and country. Here are a couple of folk style tracks that might interest you.

Phil Ochs - When I'm Gone - https://youtu.be/PNp1kqnRw-U

Gillian Welch - Look At Miss Ohio (live 2004) - https://youtu.be/9NPEj63d0jY

Iron and Wine - Claim Your Ghost (live 2017) - https://youtu.be/EGlkhgK49hY

The Chief has reported in that he's been to see the Rolling Stones exhibition in Sydney. The pictures he sent looked very cool. If you want to get a good look at some rock and roll history then get along to to the show in Sydney before 3 Feb. It's your chance to see over 500 exhibits and a lot of Keith's Telecasters strung without the low E string!

The Rolling Stones - Happy (live 1978) - https://youtu.be/5MJlTFbxjY8

Have a great week folks. Hopefully I'll be able to sit down soon!

Rob

"Come down off the cross, we need the wood...", Come On Up To The House, Tom Waits, 1999.

No comments:

Post a Comment