Friday, December 21, 2018

World Wide Woozle episode #465

Hi everyone,

After a week off from the World Wide Woozle, I'm back with a bumper edition just in time for your listening pleasure over the Christmas break. I've tried really hard to have something for everyone this time around. OK, let's go...

I really, really like the Danish band "Volbeat". Their sound is a bit metal, a bit rock and roll and sometimes a bit rockabilly too. Vocalist Michael Poulsen has a really strong voice and writes a good melody. The band also includes former "Anthrax" guitarist Rob Caggiano. A live album has just been released and here's a track from it. To save you time; the chorus is in Danish. "For evigt" means "forever" (at least I think that's right)

Volbeat - For Evigt (live) - https://youtu.be/ssFkvwCN_RY

You may remember that Paul McCartney released an album recently. It's been on my playlist for a while now and I must admit that for a guy who is obviously making music for the pure joy of it, he does it well. One of the songs has just been released as a single with a fabulous video clip. What a great rock and roll track!

Paul McCartney - Who Cares - https://youtu.be/7WOb6ePqjIE

Another new live concert release is the set from David Bowie recorded at Glastonbury in 2000. The concert aired originally on the BBC and was truncated. The full version is now available (2 CDs and a DVD) for you to purchase and enjoy. What I've heard so far is pretty good. His band is rock solid and the man himself is in fine form.

David Bowie - I'm Afraid Of Americans (live) - https://youtu.be/t1Jkqy04beg

Let's stay in the UK for the moment but head north to Scotland. Glaswegian Gerry Cinnamon is making big waves in the music scene there with sold out shows all over the place and a debut album (Erratic Cinema) doing very well. It was a crowd-funded effort. Gerry, who cites Oasis and Dylan amongst his influences, sometimes sings in his Glaswegian accent (rhyming hair with floor...). Personally I've had the album playing almost non-stop for a week or so and I really like it. To add to this, Gerry's enthusiastic live performances really add to the music; he's obviously having a ball. Definitely an artist to watch...

Gerry Cinnamon - Belter (live) - https://youtu.be/w6puO67bDg4

Gerry Cinnamon - Lullaby (live) - https://youtu.be/wOjrTwbwTPI

One of my absolute favourite 80s songs is Nena's, "99 Luftballons". It's a great tune but also reminds me of having to learn the lyrics in Year 10 German! I know that DJ Doc is a fan too. I've probably played the tune recently but a little while ago I heard this version and really enjoyed it. American punksters Goldfinger really rev the tune up and as a bonus they also sing a verse in German.

Goldfinger - 99 Red Balloons (live) - https://youtu.be/Kqe9jZ17JFY

After listening to Gerry Cinnamon, Spotify decided that I should be grooving to the next band. The algorithm was correct. Great band, great tune. Ocean Colour Scene are English but for some reason I thought they were Canadian...who knows why?! I like the insistent beat in this tune as well as the wah guitar. Maybe a Doors vibe going on?

Ocean Colour Scene - The Riverboat Song - https://youtu.be/brzzM31G4x8

Cookin' On 3 Burners are a funk trio originating in Melbourne. Other than that, I know nothing about them. I've been listening to their album, "Lab Experiments Vol. 2". The cool beats and the Hammond organ make for a great fun sound. Maybe someone out there knows more about them?

Cookin' On 3 Burners - The Jump Off - https://youtu.be/PDhSh-yTP2Q

The Dollyrots are one of my favourite pop-punk bands. They're crowdfunding a new album over at PledgeMusic if that sort of thing interests you. They've also released a Christmas song that's sure to have you pogo dancing all over the house. If you spend some time watching their live footage you'll see Luis on playing a Gibson Joan Jett signature guitar....I used to have one of those. Foolishly I sold it. D'oh!

The Dollyrots - The Dollyrots Do Christmas - https://youtu.be/DG3-ea_q5v8

Bruce Springsteen recently did a run on Broadway. It was him telling stories of his life and playing songs accompanying himself on acoustic guitar and piano. In the interests of providing you all with a decent review I have listened to the whole thing twice. I wish I hadn't. Whilst his storytelling is pretty good my opinion is that he really murders some of his best tunes. At the start of the show his guitar sounds particularly dreadful which doesn't help. You can watch the show on Netflix should you choose to and you can listen on Spotify or by purchasing the CD. There are some very good moments in there but the not so good bits far outweigh them. I was majorly disappointed.

And so this is Christmas. There are plenty of songs about this time of year and some of them are even good. I was in the waiting room at the doctor the other day for an excruciating 20 minutes of dreadfully chirpy Christmas songs. I'm sure that the staff there will need therapy to deal with the after effects. If you must play songs of yuletide over and over can I recommend the Elvis Presley Christmas album? Or perhaps the excellent compilation, "We Wish You A Metal Xmas"? Or this....

Keith Richards - Run Rudolph Run - https://youtu.be/KDMDMLF2j1A

My personal favourite Christmas song is up next. Hard to beat.

Paul Kelly - How To Make Gravy (live Double J) - https://youtu.be/FozoWgvh-m4

I was surprised this week by an amazing Xmas gift from my friends Todd and Suzy. I knew that they'd recently been to see "The Church" but what I didn't know was that they'd got some handwritten and autographed lyrics from the band and had them framed for me. I was totally blown away by this. It's a song that I used to play with the band when I was in "Junk Sculpture" as well which is awesome. Thanks you two, you really made my day.

The Church - Under The Milky Way (live) - https://youtu.be/b8sTa95rJmQ

Colin Meloy from "The Decemberists" has a very unique voice. As soon as I heard him sing I knew which band I was listening to. They've released an EP called "Travelling On" and this song is from it. I'll get to listening to the whole EP in the next couple of weeks but as it is made up of outtakes from the sessions of their most recent album it promises to be a real treat.

The Decemberists - I Will Not Say Your Name - https://youtu.be/xAOZvHYmkP8

Neil Young fans both casual and serious should enjoy his album "Songs for Judy". It's made up of live solo recordings from 1976. Neil opened his shows with "Crazy Horse" by playing a solo set. Neil is just as at home playing songs by himself with quite a deal of introspection as he is rocking out with a full band.

Neil Young - Mr Soul (live, solo, acoustic) - https://youtu.be/tbDiegR0vXQ

I may have played a track from Melbourne band "Press Club". And then again my memory could be failing. Regardless, they are a great and energetic independent punk band. I'm sure I played some footage of them from Halfway Records. Anyway, they did a rather cool version of a well known track for JJJ's Like A Version and I thought I'd finish with it this week. All the elements of a great cover are there; energy, attitude, musicianship and soul. It's fun.

Press Club - When We Were Young (Killers cover) - https://youtu.be/zIg5ejhou18

There you go folks. Enough music to get you through the next few days I hope. Have a wonderful holiday however you choose to celebrate and be kind to each other.

Rock on,
Rob

"You're a bum.
You're a punk.
You're an old slut on junk..." - Fairytale of New York - The Pogues with Kirsty MacColl, 1987

No comments:

Post a Comment