Monday, December 3, 2018

World Wide Woozle episode #463

Once in a while I get stuck in a bit of a musical rut. And by that I mean listening to only a couple of releases over and over again. For the last few weeks it's been the remix/remaster of The Beatles' 1968 classic known as the "White Album". It's funny really because I was never a fan of it in the past. Apart from that I have also had Midnight Oil's most recent live release, "Armistice Day", playing as well. I've written enough about The Beatles for a while...it's a great. So let's move on to Midnight Oil and then what I did to get back to my regular eclectic range of listening.

I didn't see Midnight Oil play on their last tour. At the time they were doing these shows I'd had enough of their music having been playing it solidly in the band for a number of years. I'd dissected live videos and recordings in order to learn how to play lots of their tracks and I really didn't feel the need to revisit that feeling. Plenty of my friends and family, including my daughter, saw the band in various locations and the reports were very good. Fast forward to the present day and there is a live DVD, BluRay, CD and LPs of the gig in Sydney along with a swag of extras depending on which version you buy. Why the complete super deluxe set isn't available on BluRay has left me completely at a loss. The advantage of paying for Spotify is that I can try before I buy with no feelings of guilt; I don't like music piracy. All in all it's a solid release. The band has plenty of energy, they play well and the setlist isn't just a greatest hits parade. There are only two things that I didn't like. Firstly, the version of "Koscisuzko" is very, very average. It's one of my favourite Midnight Oil tracks and I think the reworking they've done is average at best. Worse though is the hollow, tinny snare drum sound that is there through the whole concert. Maybe that's exactly what Rob Hirst wanted his snare to sound like but every time he hits it I feel the pain of a dentist's drill buzzing into my teeth. In general I think the band actually play their songs a lot better than much of the live footage I've examined and Garrett sounds good too. I'm looking forward to actually watching the gig, as opposed to simply listening to it. A year later I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't get to go to one of these shows but I have the fantastic memory of a very very hot and sweaty Oils gig in Brisbane in 1999.

Midnight Oil - Power and the Passion (live) - https://youtu.be/e-_s2UzdSek

So, I hear you ask, how indeed did you get out of the Beatles and Oils listening rut, Rob? Well, after the grim realisation that I'd managed to do this to myself I decided to listen to some new releases. They bored me...I wasn't in the mood. So I headed for one of the multitude of playlists that Spotify comes up with. Avoiding such titles as "Sunday Chill", "Mellow Dinner" and "Monster Dance Hits" I selected "Aussie Alternative Classics". That did the trick. It was a bit like listening to Triple J radio when I enjoyed it with artists like Custard, You Am I, The Cruel Sea, Falling Joys and The Whitlams...you get the idea. It was all jangle, crunch, sticky carpet and lyrics carefully crafted. As a result I'll play a few tracks for you here.

Firstly let's have The Falling Joys. They were a Canberra band with moderate success on the national stage so it was great to hear them pop up on the playlist as I headed to work.

The Falling Joys - You're In A Mess - https://youtu.be/-ZiXyKorkIU

The Cruel Sea were the surprise package for me at the Livid Festival in Brisbane in 1994. DJ Laff and I went to see The Mark of Cain (first band of the day), and Rollins Band (the last) with all other bands being really a bit superfluous to our way of thinking. Jello Biafra failed at holding our attention...a spoken word gig outside in 35 degree heat was never going to go down well. Supergroove were a bit of fun and You Am I must've had an off day as they were simply rotten. But The Cruel Sea were fabulous. Their bluesy, rootsy sound was downright primal that hot night and the crowd adored them.

The Cruel Sea - Better Get A Lawyer (live) - https://youtu.be/S4R1EAFTWqY

I'd forgotten about the next band until they popped up on the radio this past weekend. Another band that didn't last all that long. Sad really as this is a great song.

Fini Scad - Coppertone - https://youtu.be/BLILsNl7FPo

But by far and away my favourite song on the Aussie Alternative playlist comes from Wollongong stoner rock band, Tumbleweed. I saw them play live a couple of times with the highlight being when they, along with Kim Salmon and the Surrealists, supported Rollins Band at Festival Hall in Melbourne in 1994. Tumbleweed's album, "Galactaphonic", is essential listening for those who like their rock and roll loud, sludgy and with a touch of psychedelia. I used to play this song in a band now long gone...

Tumbleweed - Hang Around (live) - https://youtu.be/se_8jkuyyqo 

In interesting and rather unexpected news, DJ Bogus (who is still in Canada) has been getting into The Grateful Dead. Funnily enough they are one band I've not spent that much time with. I did listen to a very recently released live recording during the week and it warrants further investigation. 

The Grateful Dead - Touch of Grey - https://youtu.be/mzvk0fWtCs0

Lastly this week, a shout out to my good friend DJ Ronnie. His radio show (Ronnie's Rock Fusion) is now able to be streamed world wide from the website https://www.valleyfm.com/ . Listen in on Friday evenings from 6pm-9pm Canberra time. For those down south in Tuggeranong it's 89.5 on your FM dial. I can guarantee you'll enjoy a great range of tunes.

Sports - Who Listens To The Radio - https://youtu.be/L4f7HVnLh18

Later,
Rob

"A letter to you on a cassette,
'cause we don't write anymore..." No Aphrodisiac, The Whitlams, 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment