Friday, December 7, 2018

World Wide Woozle episode #464

December is here, the sun is out and it looks as though Canberra's magpies have almost all finished attacking wary cyclists. There's still a few episodes to come this year so check your boarding pass and squeeze into the cattle class seating for more nonsense with the World Wide Woozle.

Mashups; some are clever and most are a bit clunky. There's a guy called Bill McClintock, however, who creates simply amazing combinations of the most unlikely tunes. Check out his YouTube channel sometime to be astounded. Here's just a couple to whet your whistle.

Guns N Roses / Stevie Wonder - Living For The Paradise City - https://youtu.be/S9LArNV5pkU

Wham! / Slayer - All She Wants Is South of Heaven - https://youtu.be/JjKqeyb1IL4

Continuing on from last week's trip through some 90's Aussie Alternative classics I came across this little beauty. Great beat and a fun song. The clip seriously got me interested in a Firebird guitar but every time I've tried one something just hasn't clicked.

Swoop - Apple Eyes - https://youtu.be/jVhcEh-lOGk

The other thing that last week's listening reminded me was how many really good female artists are represented in Australian alternative and independent music. 

Killing Heidi - Weir - https://youtu.be/01aq2JWk3d0

The Preatures - Girlhood - https://youtu.be/kiv661bl6yA

The Beautiful Monument - Sins - https://youtu.be/Y33hS49a1-8

I read this week that Mark McEntee from The Divinyls is touring in 2019. This has resulted in quite a few negative comments given the fact that singer Chrissie Amphlett passed away in 2011. So what do you think? Should Mark not tour using the band name he co-founded, playing songs he co-wrote? Or should he be allowed to rock on whilst acknowledging and celebrating the greatness of Chrissie? Personally I'd go to one of the shows. After all, I went to see Dragon play a few years ago and with their only remaining original band member (Todd Hunter) having the night off sick it was still a good show.

The Divinyls - Science Fiction - https://youtu.be/AiCv9F_GRBA

You might like to read this article from The Guardian. Essentially it's about the fact that there are a lot of ways to cope with what life might throw your way but there is a lot of wisdom to be found in music. It might just save you a hefty therapist's bill; who knows? The article made me think about the way music has influenced my life and the pivotal moments that I can identify.  One which I have written about before is being given a cassette with AC/DC's "TNT" on one side and "Back In Black" on the other. I was an instant fan and I remain so more than thirty years down the track. AC/DC's grit, drive and swagger may have encouraged me to play the electric guitar but there was something else that happened a few years later that changed everything. In 1990 a friend loaned me an LP that he thought I should listen to. At the time my music collection was mostly hard rock and metal with a sprinkling of band such as The Pogues and Redgum. The LP I was given was Billy Bragg's "Back To Basics" collection. It's made up of his first three releases, "Life A Riot With Spy Vs Spy", "Brewing Up With Billy Bragg" and the "Between The Wars" EP. Even though it's a pun, it's safe to say that this record turned my world upside down. It was one man, one guitar and lyrics that meant something. Billy's music made me feel that it was alright to question our social order, our politics and the world around us. Looking back, it probably led me to be a little too idealistic at times but that's the price of youth. Billy's punk rock folk music opened my ears and my mind and as a result I eventually spent more time listening to lyrics as well as how the guitars sounded. If you've got a pivotal moment in your musical journey I'd love to hear it.

Billy Bragg - It Says Here - https://youtu.be/riMTjJMytpc

I've refrained about commenting about politics for quite a while now on this blog. The main reason being that I continue to despair at the inability of the majority of our elected representatives to actually do anything meaningful. A recent study shows that around 42% of Australians are satisfied with the way our democracy works. In 2007 that number was 86%. So what does this mean? Well a major disconnect with our major political parties for one. If the ALP is to be the next government as polls would have us believe, I think that they won't have won, the LNP will have lost. Neither party looks good to the voters and I imagine we'll see more MPs and Senators from minority parties or as independents. This means that we may face minority government with those on the cross benches wielding quite a deal of power. But there's a reason that the minority parties are that...because they have big ideas about their own special area rather than for the whole function of government. I dunno folks, it's a huge mess up there on the hill. I really wonder why we pay some of those oxygen thieves.

Redgum - The Drover's Dog - https://youtu.be/J3e1fakSHIY

On a happier and less serious note, Jeff Tweedy (Wilco) has a new album out. It's called "Warm" and it's safe to say that if you like Wilco you'll like this. I think that Jeff's voice is much better suited to quieter tracks and this release seems to showcase that. Well worth a listen for anyone who likes the non-airbrushed version of country music or introspective indie-rock.

Jeff Tweedy - I Know What It's Like - https://youtu.be/zz2v2Ix7FwE

Ok then; that's probably enough for another week. Let's finish with one of the greatest bands of all time...

Electric Mayhem (with Dave Grohl) - Learning To Fly - https://youtu.be/0x2WL_9bVyw

Move and ride along folks,
Rob

"...I'm not growing up,
I'm just burning out..", Green Day, Burnout, 1994

No comments:

Post a Comment