Friday, December 18, 2015

Song of the Week #382

At this time of year I sometimes wish I was still a teacher and therefore on a long break. But then I remember what leads up to that break and I'm sort of glad to be out of it. Anyone who thinks teachers have it easy as a result of a lengthy Summer break is kidding themselves.

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes - I've Been Working Too Hard (live) - https://youtu.be/QCvm3zAwicI

Usually I'd write some kind of Christmas message about this time but the next episode is due on the big day so I may hold off. There's no guarantee that you'll get an installment next Friday in between the festivities and post lunch nap but you never know.

"The River" is a 20 track Bruce Springsteen double album from 1979. "The Ties That Bind: The River Collection" is that album but a 4 CD and 3 DVD extravaganza of unreleased tracks, live takes and other stuff. I've just begun to work my way through it and I'll report back. I haven't got the DVDs as I'm listening via Spotify for now. "The River" is probably my favourite Springsteen album so I'm hoping for some treats with this release.

Bruce Springsteen - Ramrod (live) - https://youtu.be/RJVauHVQ-X0

This week I went into the past and listened to some early Dire Straits. It's easy to get a bit blase about them given the proliferation of their later work via commercial FM radio. Dire Straits were a cracking rock and roll band with fantastic guitar work.

Dire Straits - Down To The Waterline (live) - https://youtu.be/JltyBXbAvNM

I came across this song last week and I've been listening to the album it's from for a couple of days now. It's relatively laid back but I like the groove and feel of most of the tracks. Kurt Vile played in a couple of bands that I've got very little knowledge of but I guess I should do some more research. This is a cool track.

Kurt Vile - Pretty Pimpin' - https://youtu.be/659pppwniXA

Before I close this week can I just say that I have been defeated by The Beatles. As you know, we're playing a Beatles show on New Years Eve at Vivaldis (very few tickets left). The other guitarist that was playing pretty much all of the technical stuff pulled out at the last minute a few days ago and I'll admit it, I've been panicking trying to learn songs that, for the moment, are beyond my abilities. Thankfully H has managed to recruit another guitarist to help out and I can't begin to tell you how happy that has made me. You can't fake and improvise The Beatles! 

If you're coming to the show there will be loads of surprises in the setlists I can assure you. Beatles fans will love it. I will too now that some of the pressure is off and I can enjoy myself.

Have a great weekend folks. Rock on!

Rob

"I got ninety six tears in my ninety six eyes", Human Fly, The Cramps, 1978.




No comments:

Post a Comment