Saturday, December 12, 2015

Song of the Week #381

There's not much good about spending hours and hours on an aeroplane other than the fact you're cut off from email and telephone for a while. I took advantage of flights to and from Perth this week to catch up on some sleep, reading and a couple of films.

"The Dead Lands" is a 2014 film from New Zealand. It's an action film, set before European settlement, about a young Maori boy whose family and tribe are slaughtered. Be warned, some of the violence is fairly gruesome but without being gratuitous. The story is easy to follow and it kept me interested for the whole 108 minutes. The dialog is all in Maori though so be prepared to read the subtitles. If all you know about Maori culture is the All Blacks doing the Haka then this film will give you an insight into where a lot of their moves come from. If you're interested in where things have gone more recently you should seek out the book or film "Once Were Warriors".

I also watched the second film in the Maze Runner series. Quite obviously setting us up for another chapter in the story. If post-apocalyptic sci-fi style is your thing then you won't be disappointed. I wouldn't pay to see this one but it wasn't dreadful.

Last week I took delivery of this next song on a 45rpm single. Remember those? There's something about vinyl and the way it sounds. I could never really quantify it but this one sounded fantastic.

Queensryche - Scarborough Fair - https://youtu.be/XLPKM1W9mLY

It was sad recently to hear of the death of Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver singer, Scott Weiland. His ex-wife wrote that she would rather that no-one used his death to glorify the rock and roll lifestyle and all the things that seem to go with it. I'm on her side. Great singer, wasted life.

Velvet Revolver - Slither - https://youtu.be/G_TRMyIC2HU

The Mark of Cain have been playing a few shows around the country. Sadly, I'm not able to get to one this time. Who knows if and when they will play again but I hope that they can find it in themselves to record a new album and even make it back here for a show. They are one of our best heavy bands.

The Mark of Cain - Grey 11 - https://youtu.be/f0v32-U13vA

I've just read that Belinda Carlisle has been "clean" for 10 years. It's hard to believe that she was a drug and alcohol addict when she made classic tracks like "Heaven Is A Place On Earth". I've played in bands for years and when it comes to drugs I'm as squeaky clean as it comes. In the early days of playing gigs there was one time at the ANU there were some dodgy looking characters hanging around as we packed up. It's not unusual for people to want to talk to the band. I know I do when I've been in the crowd, Even if it's just to say thanks, ask about guitar gear or in rare cases request an autograph. Anyway, back to the story. These guys kept hanging around until finally DJ DJ said to me, "Rob, they're trying to sell you drugs...just tell them yes or no!" I politely declined their offer and have never been offered anything again.

Love/Hate - Why Do You Think They Call It Dope? - https://youtu.be/KVcTJvKNwPk

This morning DJ Hammertime and I did a lazy 100km ride on some roads that I hadn't ridden on for quite a while. Other than racking up another long ride this one took me past 12,000 km for the year. All things considered I'm pretty happy with that distance. I'll get a few hundred in before the end of 2015 but I can't see myself getting to 13,000 km! I've written before about why I ride so far but just in case you missed it....it all started when my foot was injured and the doctor advised that I shouldn't run again...ever. That was the end of triathlon for me and a tough pill to swallow. Riding gives me time to think, keeping me fit both mentally and physically. I've got a few cycling challenges coming up next year but more about those another day. For now I've got 19 days to ride as far as I can!

The Staples Singers - Respect Yourself - https://youtu.be/oab4ZCfTbOI

Right now I'm off to play more guitar. There's plenty of rehearsal needed for the next two shows. It's also very exciting to think that we'll be recording some original songs in 2016. Cover songs are tons of fun but there's something special about a tune that you've had input into writing. But for now...

Foreigner - Juke Box Hero - https://youtu.be/EAUOx4lpt24

I'm sure you all know that Christmas is almost here. For many people it means different things. All I'll say is to echo something I read on Facebook during the week..."If your religion means that you hate other people then you're doing it wrong".

Lukim yu,
Rob

"Arms wide open, I stand alone.
I'm no hero, and I'm not made of stone.
Right or wrong, I can hardly tell.
I'm on the wrong side of heaven, and the righteous side of hell." - Wrong Side of Heaven, Five Finger Death Punch, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment