Friday, June 20, 2014

Song of the Week #303

For the last couple of weeks I've been playing a few guitar solos over and over (and over). The band has added a set of Oz rock classics to its repertoire and we're working hard learning them. For some reason I can't explain I learned one song in the wrong key. And for a particularly easy song I really butchered it when I was made aware of my error. Needless to say I've ripped through it a number of times with the right start note to make sure I have it sorted out. One of the solos I get to play is pretty simple but it sounds excellent. Also there's some cool harmonics and incidental bits to keep things interesting. Probably a song I would never have considered playing but it really works (there's a good pun).

Noiseworks - Touch - http://youtu.be/Ri1MTXFu8No 

There's a lot to be said for a video clip with a roaring fire in the background. It worked a treat for Barnesy in my opinion!

Jimmy Barnes - Working Class Man - http://youtu.be/erSJGrpfnOI

DJ K-Star made me listen to this next band - he was fairly insistent! It's great no nonsense rock and roll and the perfect antidote for a blue mood. The guitar sound in the opening riff is pretty much what I've been working towards and what the new MESA amp delivers to perfection. A well focused drive with bottom end and no fizz.

Thunder - Amy's On The Run - http://youtu.be/J1xl6gImqGE

You know, I've sat through four seasons of the TV show "The Walking Dead" trying to work out who the character Michonne reminded me of. Finally, this week it hit me...

Tracy Chapman - Talkin' Bout A Revolution - http://youtu.be/5ctZwbjpSA4

This week I read the there are to be even more Beatles re-releases. You could be forgiven for seeing this as a cash grab aimed at Beatles fans with more money than sense...and I wouldn't blame you. But consider that the albums in question (9 original albums plus some compilations) have been reproduced with only analog technology and are presented on vinyl in the way that arguably The Beatles wanted them heard back in the day. I baulked at the remastered CDs (stereo and/or mono) a few years ago but these releases, coming in September, are much more interesting. This next song will be included as it was on their last mono LP. And I'll be seeing this version up close and personal thanks to DJ Chief in just over a month!

Chris Cheney - While My Guitar Gently Weeps - http://youtu.be/2jAy7xFuoFU

It's been a very rock 'n' roll show so far. I can fix that. See what you think of this hauntingly beautiful tune...

Clannad - Theme From Harry's Game - http://youtu.be/2KpNzalFKPo

Last weekend H and I played some songs at a party. As usual, it was a riot with songs coming thick and fast in a range of mystery keys. I kept up almost all of the time. Someone yelled out that they wanted us to play a Charley Pride song. They didn't quite get their request but given that I only know one of his songs and H knew none that wasn't a shock. This is the one I know and I've loved it for years and years. It was a big AM radio hit in NZ when I was a kid. It's a real toe tapper.

Charley Pride - Mountain of Love - http://youtu.be/0xaDfO4Fn3c

If you're in Canberra then you may have read that the Australian National University's School of Music want to allow a local pub to relocate inside their premises. A pub in a university? Who woulda thunk it?! Anyway, it's caused a bit of a ruckus. But here's my outside looking in opinion for what it's worth. The number of people I know who enjoy classical music, are not music teachers, and are younger than me is about zero. If a pub, and it's not your sticky carpet VB, Cold Chisel type of establishment, attracts a few people and they end up being exposed to some new music then how can that be a bad thing? Imagine if the, how can I put this, "older" patrons of the concert series got to enjoy a range of locally produced beverages rather than the standard chardonnay. Wow, something new for everyone. Even as a non-drinker I like the idea. People might even talk to each other.

Bad News - Drink Till I Die - http://youtu.be/CY4lAUhigxY (listen for the Brian May guitar line, you can't miss it)

A while ago I played a tune by the Supersuckers. It was far from serious but the lack of comments received made me think that either no-one listened to it, was offended, or had made it that far in the episode. So, if you're paying attention then this is seriously funny. From the man that brought us "Don Henley Must Die" and "I Wanna Ride In A Bigfoot Truck"...

Mojo Nixon - Debbie Gibson Is Pregnant With My Two Headed Love Child - http://youtu.be/cXLuSHx1fR0

Well that's it for this week Nothing much happened around here other than us buying a new house.

DJ Rob

"Everybody needs a little place they can hide
Somewhere to call their own
Don't let nobody inside
Every now and then we all need to let go
For some it's a doctor, for me it's rock and roll" - Cinderella - Shelter Me (1990)

PS: If anyone can pick the link between The Angels and While My Guitar Gently Weeps I'll be seriously impressed.




2 comments:

  1. No spell checker eh? "wouildn't" bbrrrrkkk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stoopid Gmail ;-) Fixed now. Thanks DJ Chicken

    ReplyDelete