Friday, December 2, 2011

Song of the Week #171

Woo hoo! It's Friday, I've finished work for the week and I'm going on camp next week. I get to spend time mountain biking, hiking, camping, canoeing and other neat stuff. Oh, and look after some students!
 
 
In cool music news, legendary Adelaide band The Mark of Cain previewed their first track in 10 years on the radio last night. It was great! You can download it from their website for free (www.tmoc.com.au) from midnight Dec 5th. I've seen TMOC a few times in Adelaide, Canberra and Brisbane and they never disappoint live. If you like Rollins Band or Helmet then check out their back catalogue. Here's an old track...
 
 
I've been listening a lot to a band called Winterpills this week. I played their track "Broken Arm" recently for all of you. Their music is a solid mix of influences including Simon & Garfunkel, Jefferson Airplane and Neil Young. Their CD is a great listen and I've got another one coming in from the USA. Here's another track for you to try out:
 
 
Zoe met Australian rock legend Angry Anderson recently when he played in a concert at her school. I think she was shocked at how short he was and how many tattoos he had! I remember meeting him at Melbourne Zoo when I was a schoolboy. I was to nervous to say a word! Here's Angry...
 
 
Today DJ McG returned my copy of the movie Anvil. It's a hoot, if you haven't watched in then get on with it, soon! We were talking about cool music – he has GREAT taste – and he reminded me of an awesome guitarist from Germany. I remember reading about Michael Schenker in guitar magazines and really digging his black and white Flying V guitars. I had a V for a while but the neck just felt too chunky for my hand. But, here's Michael...
 
 
Hats off this week to DJ HotB who participated in a hell selection week for cycling scholarship. I can't believe what these cyclists had to endure – it should have been filmed for TV. I laughed when I read that the first thing they had to do was re-cable their bikes. That would've been me gone in the first 5 minutes. But I wonder if she'll come and service my bike?
 
Angus has become addicted to the "Back to the Future" movies. That's not all bad as they are good fun! I think there might have finally been a breakthrough in his music education though when he loaded these tracks from the movie onto his iPod...anything's better than "yo, yo" music.
 
 
Huey Lewis & The News – The Power of Love (it takes about 15s for the sound to kick in...WAIT!)
 
If you're in Canberra on Dec 17th then get along to the Transit Bar to see the Iron Maiden tribute show. DJ Scotwithonetee reckons I'll need a wig but whatever, it should be awesome. Probably not as good as when we saw the real band a few years ago but it'll be horns up all night!
 
 
Adrian Smith is playing a red Ibanez Destroyer guitar in that clip. I had the chance to buy one a few years back for a bargain price and I'm still not sure why I passed it up. I think the shop was too busy and couldn't be bothered fighting my way through the masses! Oh well.
 
If you don't know that Billy Bragg is one of my all time favourite artists then you mustn't be paying attention! He's reworked one of his classic songs...here it is. Lyrics are at www.billybragg.co.uk if you nee d them.
 
 
Anyway, he's got a new CD available through his website which is a collection of protest songs he's done over the last few years. In the liner notes he reflects that the time seems right for these type of songs again. I'll leave you with one of them. I don't agree with all that Billy has to say but this is a great tune and I reckon DJ G will like the reference to Dylan as well.
 
 
That's all folks – see you next week – and it'll probably be late as I'm going from camp to see the awesome show "Looking Through A Glass Onion" with John Waters. It's a one man show about the life of John Lennon. He has a band too so I guess it's more than one man. We saw it years and years ago – probably before we got married and we've just ticked over 18 years so...
 
 
DJ Rob
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment