Friday, June 10, 2011

Song of the Week #146


Hello Winter! Suddenly it’s cold here in Canberra. I’m not sure we got much of an Autumn either which is very unfair. Getting ready to go out cycling now takes a lot longer with layer upon layer of clothing to be applied as well as lights on the bike. Brrrr is all I have to say!


Here’s a song to warm you all up. Not the original but a good effort nonetheless.


Joan Osbourne - Heatwave


Dr. Who has been back on TV here for a while and I think it just keeps getting better and better. My only gripe is that we really don’t need the bit at the start of every episode explaining who Amy and the Doctor are – the BBC doesn’t need to dumb it down. This next song was featured on last week’s show. A classic that now probably freaks a few Dr. Who viewers out!


Dusty Springfield – You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me


In Heavy Metal news, the enhanced versions of Ozzy Osbourne’s classic albums, “Blizzard of Ozz” and “Diary of a Madman” are now available. Remastered CDs, vinyl versions, the obligatory coffee book and a replica of Ozzy’s gold crucifix are included. In my humble opinion, “Blizzard of Ozz” is one of the greatest metal albums of all time. I remember being given a copy when I was about 15 and being mesmerized by the guitar work. I’m looking forward to hearing the remastered version soon – the original lacks a bit of bottom end. This track is an extra on the new enhanced edition. It only has guitars and vocals and I think it sounds great. There are delicate touches in the verses as well as the opportunity to hear the classical influence in the screaming guitar solo without distraction. Awesome.


Ozzy Osbourne – Goodbye To Romance


I can’t let talk of all things Heavy Metal pass without a quick discussion of the Soundwave Revolution festival which will hit in September. The number legendary acts is sure to have most rock fans salivating. Alice Cooper, Bad Religion, Steel Panther, The Sisters of Mercy, Machine Head, Danzig and Devin Townsend just to name a few. The big ticket item though is Van Halen. It might be cheesy, but I’d love to see them live! Especially with Diamond David Lee Roth singing – what a treat. VH have to be the ultimate party band. I spent a while finding a good version of this song, possibly my fave from Van Halen. It’s worth waiting through the 42s of introduction.


Van Halen – Unchained (live)


Maybe we need to chill a bit after Ozzy and Van Halen. I don’t want anyone out there in radio land getting over stimulated. Here’s a special version of a classic track. What a voice!! I remember wondering as a kid which member of the Music Department was responsible for bringing a “capella” to the rehearsals because they always left it behind. I get it now.


Marvin Gaye – I Heard It Through The Grapevine (a capella)


On Sunday I played with some colleagues at a show here at school. Tons of fun! But I was asked to play this song for someone else to sing to. I’d played bits of it in the past but never the full song – and it was in a different key of course! After three quick run throughs on my own it was time to play. Any opportunity to play live is great and this time I got to debut my newest guitar. I’ll admit it was far from perfect on my behalf but it was still a hoot!


Red Hot Chilli Peppers – Under The Bridge (Acoustic)


Searching out good music is made easier and probably harder with the help of the internet. Before we had that I guess I relied a lot more on radio. But here’s one that came to me from the local library in my pre-internet days. I saw a CD with a funny blue cover and picked it up on the off chance it might be good. It was. Here’s Gillian Welch with great picking and insanely good vocals. Thanks to DJ Tel4 for jogging my memory as well!


Gillian Welch – I Want To Sing That Rock ‘n Roll


If it’s too loud, you’re too old.


DJ Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment