Friday, February 11, 2011

Song of the Week #129

Readers of my blog will be aware that Irish guitarist Gary Moore died last weekend. I was turned onto his music by a bandmate in the early 90s. It’s funny that the media is pushing the fact that he played for Thin Lizzy when in fact his solo work is better known.

Gary played hard rock early on and then moved into the blues. The discography he has left us showcases his virtuosity in both genres. His first blues album “Still Got The Blues” was a worldwide success and the first I really heard of him. Try this track:

Gary Moore – Walking By Myself – looks like one of The Proclaimers on the harmonica!

This next track is from an album I didn’t expect to like at all. Being pleasantly surprised is cool.

Fatboy Slim – That Old Pair Of Jeans

Can we dip back into the heavy stuff for a minute? It’s no secret that I was a HUGE fan of Canberra band Armoured Angel back in the 90s. I found this really good quality live clip on the web only the other day. I saw these guys play a number of times both here in Canberra as well as in Melbourne and Sydney. They always had something that other similar bands were missing. It wasn’t just about noise and aggression. I can’t put my finger on it but I still listen to their stuff today. Give it a spin.

Armoured Angel – Communion (live) – yep, the drummer is the singer. I think much admiration must go to a band who can use sanguineous in their lyrics and make it fit!

Shuffling music from my ever expanding collection is something I always enjoy. Not knowing quite what will come up next is a lot of fun. This next one came up yesterday. I absolutely love the guitar intro.

Tears for Fears – Everybody Wants To Rule The World – that’s from an album I have and play on vinyl. A remix, remaster, repackage isn’t always necessary.

And in pretty cool news, it has been reported that Neil Young will be inducting Tom Waits into the Rock N’ Roll Hall of Fame.

Elton John has an album out with Leon Russell. And it is getting 5 star reviews all over the place. Listen for yourself, it’s worth it.

Elton John / Leon Russell – If It Wasn’t For Bad

Yeah, I know that Song of the Week has sort of morphed into songs but there’s so much good stuff out there!

I’ll finish this week with some cheesy rock from the 80s. I played the album that this song comes from on the way to swimming on Tuesday night and I’d forgotten just how much I liked it. Of course, your mileage may vary but it has everything. Loud guitars, long hair, fabulous outfits, cheesy lyrics and some great playing! Not everything has to be super serious.

Europe – Rock The Night – do you think the singer’s real name is Joey Tempest??!

I’m racing at Callala Beach this weekend so I hope the rain stops soon. Swimming and running are just fine but cycling in the wet can be a bit hairy.

Teach your children well,

DJ Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment