Monday, September 30, 2024

World Wide Woozle episode #634

Hi everyone,

I've been here and there over the last few weeks, Perth most recently. I really need to get back there one day when I'm not on a work trip so that I can have a bit more of a look around. I'm in Adelaide shortly and then not long after that I'll be winging my way to the USA for some rest, recreation and rock 'n' roll.

This episode was almost fully formed when the sad news of Kris Kristofferson's passing hit. I was at work when I found out and I was floored. I know that he was 88 but I guess you never expect people you admire to slip away. I was fortunate enough to be given a ticket to see Kris here in Canberra just over five years ago (thank you Karen and Jeff). He looked old when he walked to the microphone stand, slightly unsteady in his cowboy boots. But when he got there and started to sing and play he was another version of himself. I listened to a few tracks on a set of headphones as I tried to concentrate on work but it wasn't easy so I switched them off. Later on, during my lunch break, I walked in the sunshine and reflected on Kris. He was a Rhodes Scholar, US Army helicopter pilot, janitor, songwriter, performer, actor and father. And he's a legend. What really resonates with me is that his vocal delivery is gravelly, rough, wavers a bit in and out of tune, and suits his songs perfectly. There's more to Kris than the country music formula. He's gone now, rest in peace.

Kris Kristofferson & Rita Coolidge - Please Don't Tell Me How The Story Ends - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLeDe5yRi8s

Kris Kristofferson - Pilgrim's Progress - https://youtu.be/K5x2SwHQvl0

Kris Kristofferson - Here Comes That Rainbow Again -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwCgn9KoaRM

DJ DJ absolutely made my day on Sunday when he asked if I wanted to go and see King Diamond when I'm staying with him in DC. Some of you may be familiar with his early work in Mercyful Fate (Metallica fans will know all about that). King has been around singing since the 70s but really gained prominence with the release of the Don't Break The Oath and the subsequent tour of the USA. It's shock rock at its absolute best. I know that King Diamond's music isn't for everyone, the vocal style with the falsetto will put many off, but I'm pumped to see such an influential performer play live.

King Diamond - Sleepless Nights - https://youtu.be/U-yYG00Nr8I

I've updated my regular listening playlist, click here as usual, with twenty tunes to keep you all on your toes. There's a version of the next song on there by John Williamson. I've sandwiched it between Coloured Stone and Grinspoon because I wouldn't want anyone to get too comfortable! Here's the original and it's a cracker. I can see myself learning and playing this one before long.

Eric Bogle - Shelter - https://youtu.be/_Or5of1gytA

Let me tell you what else has been going on. The truth is I've been unwell. My brain very helpfully decided that it was time to have a relapse of a few mental health issues. The result is that I've had to re-engage with my psychologist to sort a few things out. Thankfully I have that option and she knows what she's doing. I'm told that I'm a good patient because I do what I'm told. I am, however, also very aware that I'm more than capable of convincing myself that I'm doing the right thing when I'm doing the total opposite. To be honest, I am finally  improving but there is still a way to go. Like many issues, anorexia is something I think will always be in the back of my head but I'm building more and more skills to combat that nagging and destructive voice. It's amazing how much better your brain works when your body is properly fueled. A thousand apologies to all those people that I've not really been in much contact with. This has taken nearly all of my energy to keep it together and not let my work be impacted. I definitely need a holiday, it's been a long time coming, and it's not far off now.

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Tupelo - https://youtu.be/SgO6Jp6LFEM

I keep coming back to The Chicks. I guess good music is good music. I remember buying a live DVD of theirs for about $5 in about 2005 and being an instant convert. This song resonates at the moment....the long way around indeed.

The Chicks - The Long Way Around (live) - https://youtu.be/s5HKLteH9Mc

So there you have it. Some tunes, a whole playlist and a bit more. I'll be back soon with the balance of what was going to be in this episode. Oh, and for those that haven't realised, I have stopped using Instagram. It's part of my plan to be more mindful about how I spend my time. More about that next time probably.

Keep smiling, it costs nothing.
The Woozle

"It rained all night in a summer sky
A simple life in a digital time
Sitting in the sun waiting on the tide
A feeling in the wind is telling me to go now..."

King Stingray, Best Bits, 2024.



No comments:

Post a Comment