Sunday, September 8, 2024

World Wide Woozle episode #633

Welcome back for another episode.

On Friday night, Dave Dubya and I went to Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne to see Iron Maiden. For me the trip involved an uber, a plane, a bus, a train and the shoe leather express. I also had a bit of a look around Moe, where I lived when I was at high school. I used to be scared stiff walking home past the racecourse so I did that as a bit of exposure therapy. 40 years later it wasn't so bad.

Iron Maiden are not young men but as the Ode reminds us, "they shall not grow old...". Bruce and the boys put on an excellent show full of energy, loud music and the classic Iron Maiden theatrics. We had a great vantage point directly in front of the sound desk. The barrier also gave us something to lean back on once in a while, always a bonus. I didn't expect to see Rod Smallwood, the band's long-time manager, beside the desk but there he was. I knew well ahead of time that the setlist had a heavy emphasis on the Somewhere In Time and Senjutsu albums and I was prepared. After the show I heard plenty of complaints about the lack of some of the band's more well known tracks but given that it wasn't a surprise at all, I have limited sympathy. They did almost the greatest hits tour a few years ago. I could be picky and say that for seasoned professionals charging big money that fluffing the timing in a couple of songs was a bit much. But we all make mistakes and they weren't dreadful by any means. You can see in recently posted video footage where Bruce is singing lines out of time with the rest of the band but they got it together pretty quickly. I got a real kick seeing Eddie come out three times in different guises (The Stranger, The Cyborg and the Senjutsu Warrior). Kudos to whoever was wearing that 8 foot suit! And for the most part, the band rocked hard with seemingly boundless energy. 

Iron Maiden - The Writing On The Wall - https://youtu.be/FhBnW7bZHEE 

The Externals have released a new EP, Back on the Cans. The title is a nod to the end of lockdown in Melbourne and Premier Daniel Andrews. The song itself is, to me, all about having a great time playing tunes with your mates. I don't drink cans but I can relate to the energy and groove of this excellent track. The CD version of the EP is in the mail at the moment coming to HQ Woozle but of course you can stream the whole thing on Spotify, YouTube and a few others I'm sure. Turn this one up, pogo around the lounge room and have a helluva good time with a great Aussie band.

The Externals - Back on the Cans - https://youtu.be/ZDRZ42JO8pE

DJ ElShano recommends some great tracks to me. Recently he shot through a link to a song by Chet Faker. He's not an artist that I've ever listened to before and I wasn't sure what to expect. This one reminded me a little of Alabama 3, who I really enjoy, but then it also harkens back to some 70s cop show theme songs. Well, that's what I hear. See what you think; it's a cool track.

Chet Faker - Oh Me Oh My - https://youtu.be/0nRnuqo3q7c

Since I mentioned Alabama 3, it would be remiss of me not to make an attempt to convert some of you. Try this...seriously groovy baby.

Alabama 3 - California Got You Stoned - https://youtu.be/lfXGWbK-tck

I do like a good slab of folk music and so when Dave recommended The Bad Shepherds to me I was pretty pleased. These guys were nominated for the live act of the year in the 2010 BBC Folk Music Awards. Click the link and see if it leads you on a mandolin filled musical journey...

The Bad Shepherds - Down In The Tube Station At Midnight - https://youtu.be/Kmt2dpHHhFk

On a related note, The Bad Shepherds led me all the way back to a track that I'd long forgotten. Old school late night MTV watchers may well remember Zodiac Mindwarp & The Love Reaction. What a classic!

Zodiac Mindwarp & The Love Reaction - Prime Mover - https://youtu.be/mtnCcWOS7y8

The link between The Bad Shepherds and Zodiac Mindwarp is English comedian Ade Edmonson. Well known of course for his roles in The Young Ones and Bottom, he sang and played mandolin in The Bad Shepherds and also made the video for Prime Mover!

Tom Petty fans will probably enjoy the soundtrack for the new TV show, Bad Monkey. I think there are 21 of Tom's tracks covered by artists including Eddie Vedder, Jason Isbell, The War on Drugs and Kurt Vile. This one is from Larkin Poe and I really like how they've taken an already energetic song and pushed it almost to the edge.

Larkin Poe - Runnin' Down A Dream - https://youtu.be/lQVDjTBfk-0

Lastly, Neil Diamond. Why not? I was listening to some early tracks of his and was struck not only by the songwriting but by just how good these mono recordings were. The almost cheery instrumentation contrasts with the lyrics in a way that works so well.

Neil Diamond - Solitary Man - https://youtu.be/N3Nn7Q6l5uY

That'll do I reckon. Let me know if any of those tracks interest you.

I've got a big week coming up. Massage tomorrow, Covid booster on Tuesday and the psych on Wednesday. Good grief, which idiot organised all that!

Rock on brothers and sisters,

The Woozle

"...and she has stupid hair..."
Eric Cartman, Kyle's Mom's a Bitch, 1999.

No comments:

Post a Comment