Friday, July 29, 2022

World Wide Woozle episode #578

Hi everyone and thanks for tuning in for another episode of the World Wide Woozle. Thanks also to those that sent responses to the previous episode. It's pretty groovy being part of a global village.

With only a couple of weeks to go now until HQ Woozle gets a new, permanent home, I've been reflecting on how fortunate I am to have friends willing to let me invade their space and crash in their spare rooms for more than a couple of days. Mega huge thanks to George, Todd, Suzy, Gertrude and Fitzwilliam. It's a kindness I'll never forget.

DJ Laff sends me cool songs all the time. Recently he highlighted the next track, a cover of a Johnny Cash / June Carter song on the B-side of an EP from INXS that also features Jenny Morris on vocals. Luckily the track is available on a Morris compilation as the EP is long out of print and not on Spotify. To make matters even more complicated; the EP is different in Australia to that in the global market! Anyway, I reckon Jenny Morris has a great voice and this is a very cool version of a classic.

Jenny Morris - Jackson - https://youtu.be/y2EVjOBZw-s

Many of you will understand the concept of the YouTube rabbit hole. Once you dive in looking for one song then so many others turn up. If it hadn't been for the previous song then I might not have come across the next one. Jenny Morris covering this Billy Bragg track. It's on her album Salvation Jane from 1995 and she does a great job of making a great song her own.

Jenny Morris - The Price I Pay - https://youtu.be/0SdiE-h7QdY

Last time around I played a live Prince track but didn't comment on it. Well, lovers of His Royal Purpleness are in for a treat. There's a newly released live album available. It comes on two CDs and also includes a BluRay disc of the concert from 1985. 20 songs and nearly 2 hours of music should satisfy most Prince fans. After viewing some of the footage and listening to the album via Spotify I can definitely say that I am looking forward to getting it in hard copy.

Prince and The Revolution - 1999 (live) - https://youtu.be/y65kOqNpt3Y

Starcrawler are a band I may have played before but with almost 600 episodes here I must admit I have been remiss in not keeping a list (or database) of all the tracks suggested to you! The band is a five piece punky, rocky group from Los Angeles in the USA. They have two albums out there and a few singles. If you like The Clouds, Black Sabbath and/or Hole then this is worth a listen.

Starcrawler - Roadkill - https://youtu.be/t_n4_PxA54Q

The Whitlams are one of those bands I always think I should listen to more of but it just never happens. I heard a newish single from them the other day and then took a haphazard trip through their back catalogue. I must go back and spend more time with this great Australian band. I didn't realise that the next song was written partly as a reaction to the suicide of one the band members and his battle with gambling. Suddenly the song takes on a much deeper meaning.

The Whitlams - Blow Up The Pokies - https://youtu.be/7B49zI5UrAQ

The Whitlams have a rockier side as well. This track, dedicated to a well known drummer is a cracker!

The Whitlams - You Sound Like Louis Burdett - https://youtu.be/03yeNNtSJco

Living End frontman, Chris Cheney has released a solo album called The Storm Before The Calm. It's less rockabilly than The Living End but is looking like being one of my favourite albums this year. It's one that I put on and play right through to the end. The lyrics are interesting and it's recorded in such a way that I feel I'm in the room with Chris. This is the first song on the album and it really sets the tone.

Chris Cheyney - Impossible Dream - https://youtu.be/QoBt3lsHO0k

The stupid pandemic meant that a lot of bands had to do something different to get their music out there and to survive. Anthrax probably could have afforded to take the time off but they celebrated their 40th anniversary with a livestreamed gig. It's now been released on CD and Bluray. I'm keen for some new songs but this is an excellent retrospective and there are a few deep cuts in there as well. For guys who have been rocking hard for 40 years they still sound fresh and enthusiastic.

Anthrax - The Devil You Know (live) - https://youtu.be/ONNq-00UKEA

FInally this week is a song I've played live a grand total of once. I have to remedy that because it's a lot of fun and also because I'm always keen to meet people who want to listen to Iron Maiden! This is Amy Shark's version and I really rate it. I didn't know what Keds were either so let's give her a pass on that lyric!

Amy Shark - Teenage Dirtbag - https://youtu.be/z6iyHYucMPQ

Enough,

The Woozle.

"...just because I dress like this,
doesn't mean I'm a Communist..."
Billy Bragg, To Have And To Have Not, 1983. 

No comments:

Post a Comment