Sunday, July 17, 2022

World Wide Woozle episode #576

I'm still here, rock 'n' roll never dies! And whilst I've spent the last week trying to convince my mind and body that I was getting better, it wasn't until yesterday afternoon (Saturday) that I felt any better than dreadful. People often joke about a "man-flu" but this was no joke. It's been a month off my bike so far and I think another week is probably in order. Boring but necessary.

Huey Lewis & The News - I Want A New Drug - https://youtu.be/N6uEMOeDZsA

Unless you've been living under a rock then you will have heard that the TV show Stranger Things has introduced a whole new generation of music listeners to Kate Bush and Metallica. Old fart music snobs will delight in telling everyone that they were there when the original songs were released and that it's only pop culture making kids listen to these tunes. They should take a long hard look at themselves. Music is cool regardless of how and when you were introduced to it. Was I into AC/DC when they first started out? No, I was four years old. But they are still my favourite band of all time. I remember when SingStar and Guitar Hero on the Playstation started to introduce people to a range of rock music. It was cool to see kids humming tunes by bands like Foghat. The ending of Stranger Things was decidedly average in my opinion but then you can't have everything!

Metallica - Master of Puppets (live) - https://youtu.be/S9IAmCz0ov8

Daniel Johns has been in the news for all the wrong reasons of late. Let's hope that he can get the help he needs and move forwards. He's an interesting guy and a great talent. There's a great podcast series about him which is worth a listen. I was reminded of this song during the week by a friend. Heavy stuff considering it was written by him as a teenager.

silverchair - Shade - https://youtu.be/tUCrls6vc_U

More good news, I finished another book. This time it was the first book in the series that the Netflix show, The Witcher, was based on. I'd watched the show quite a while ago and realised when I went to watch season two that I had no idea what was going on. So I read the book instead of re-watching the first episodes. I guess having some memory of the story in the back of my mind helped me with a reference point. It's a good read too. I'm currently reading Eruption, which is a biography of Eddie Van Halen. More about that when I've finished it. I've got tons of books that I haven't read because, even though I couldn't read for such a long time, I always wanted to and I'm a sucker for bookshops!

Van Halen - Unchained - https://youtu.be/ojNrj-sWfpk

Rage Against The Machine have reformed and are currently doing a string of live shows in the USA. I wasn't really a huge fan of their work the first time around but it's grown on me in the last few years. You might not agree with all of their political views but they write a great hook.

Rage Against The Machine - Renegades of Funk - https://youtu.be/4KXdU3cZbNQ

Those of you with Canadian roots or links may have heard of a band called Max Webster. They popped up randomly on Spotify and I gave them a shot. Doing some investigation I discovered that they toured extensively with Rush and also recorded with them. Have a listen.

Max Webster - Toronto Tontos - https://youtu.be/nHEgSxvMP5w

The last track this week came up in a list of new releases. I almost skipped straight by when it started. More angst, piano driven stuff. But I gave it a whirl on the strength of past tunes I'd heard from Meg Mac. She has a strong voice and doesn't shout when she sings. Great tune.

Meg Mac - Letter - https://youtu.be/rhsjApicNk8

That's all folks. Remember, less gossip and more love.

The Woozle.

"There is something I wanted to tell you
It's so funny you'll kill yourself laughing
But then I, I look around
And I remember that I am alone..."
Morrisey, Come Back to Camden, 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment