Wednesday, December 29, 2021

World Wide Woozle episode #563

Hi groovers, let's get to it. Are you sitting comfortably?

I am pleased to report that I have finished playing Tetris with the contents of my abode. The architraves, skirting boards and door frames are all painted at last. My good mate "Too Tall" is coming over to patch my bathroom ceiling and after that's done it will be time to sell, sell, sell! My little place is pretty groovy but little is the operative word. 

The Cinematic Orchestra - To Build A Home - https://youtu.be/NpkNK06wgwU

It seems as though every TV news programme simply cannot resist reviewing what happened in 2021. We remember, we were there. Just more junk programming rather than reporting the news. Grrrrrr! At this stage the only reason I turn on free to air TV is to see Australia destroying England at cricket. 

Bee Gees - You Win Again (live 1998) - https://youtu.be/zOgqxKd9sgE

Christmas has been and gone. I started the day with a ride in the sunshine through a whole lot of new suburbs that I won't be able to afford to live in! It was great though as the roads are new, there was no traffic and it was pretty hilly. The only downside was one very confused magpie who took a dislike to me. After a spot of chilling out with some music and a book in the afternoon, I had a quiet evening with my great friends Todd and Suzy. And I got plenty of love from their dogs too; that's always special. The pandemic really messes around with everything but I'm hoping to be able to spend next Christmas with at least one member of my family. Let's not hold our breath on that one...

The Fauves - Dogs Are The Best People - https://youtu.be/lxM7sLT0rQE

Meanwhile, it looks like we won't be returning to work in the office anytime soon. I keep getting text messages about positive cases there on the 23rd and 24th of December. Fortunately my boss already had us working from home. 

The White Stripes - Girl, You Have No Faith In Medicine - https://youtu.be/0mWM0S1dMro

Angus and Zoe got me the latest EP from The Buoys, Unsolicited Advice for your DIY Disaster, for Christmas. It's very cool on transparent turquoise vinyl! As I've mentioned previously, if you like The Chats, The Go-Gos or The Clouds then this might make you tap your toes. It's definitely a break-up record so if that's something you'd rather avoid then walk on by this one.

The Buoys - Drive Me Home - https://youtu.be/-W1Jh956U9E

Colin Hay released a new album (of covers) in August this year. I've only just had a few listens to it but it's a cracker. Colin's voice has a unique tone that you'll no doubt remember from his Men At Work days as well as a heap of solo releases. You can hear his Scots accent in most of the songs and the guitar work is fab. This album has reintroduced me to a whole heap of songs as well as encouraging me to go back and listen to his back catalogue.

Colin Hay - Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) - https://youtu.be/keN7u8_Q8ho

Peter Cetera is best known as a member of Chicago as well as for singing a song that was the theme for the movie, The Karate Kid. The next track popped up on one of my playlists this week, I'd never heard it before, and I thought it was pretty cool. All the eighties cliches are there but it's still a track that made me want to listen to the album. Steve Lukather (Toto) plays guitar on this song...and it sounds like a Dio song until Peter sings!

Peter Cetera - Livin' In The Limelight - https://youtu.be/V1EMEncWqPE

Yothu Yindi's breakthrough album (their second) Tribal Voice is now thirty years old. I remember it clearly as a great album that fused rock, country and some nightclub style beats along with songs about life for the members of the band and the communities they lived in. I was lucky enough to see the band in a smaller venue (ANU Refectory) and then later at The Royal Theatre. Both were great shows that were full of energy. It's always easy to stick with the songs that we know but I'd encourage you to have a listen to their debut album, Homeland Movement, as well as their other work. It's a rich and meaningful discography.

Yothu Yindi - Tribal Voice - https://youtu.be/bBYHWKPLEnE

Yothu Yindi - Jailbreak (AC/DC cover) - https://youtu.be/gaaxbNX-wg8

I was deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Archbishop Desmond Tutu this week. I know he was 90 years old but it's still sad. I'm not ashamed to say that I learned a lot about South Africa as a result of musicians who saw what was going on there and wanted the world to know and for it to be made right. I put this quote from Archbishop Tutu on Facebook this week because it really resonated with me. "He loved. He laughed. He cried. He was forgiven. He forgave. Greatly privileged". There's something in there for all of us.

Bono, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood - Silver & Gold - https://youtu.be/AYBfn-FCtvU

And that's about it for 2021. Thank you to all of you who continue to read this and listen to some of the songs. And a special thanks to everyone who keeps an eye on me; the messages, emails, texts and in person conversations mean a lot. 2022 is looking good.

Rock on Brothers and Sisters,
The Woozle.

"They say the heart of rock and roll is still beating
And from what I've seen I believe 'em
Now the old boy may be barely breathing
But the heart of rock and roll, heart of rock and roll is still beating..."
Huey Lewis & The News, The Heart of Rock and Roll, 1983.

No comments:

Post a Comment