Friday, December 3, 2021

World Wide Woozle episode #560

Surprise! I'm still here.

I hope you've got some time for reading….this episode turned out to be a bit long. The fact that I can come up with long pieces of writing makes me laugh because I used to write essays for university by counting average words per line and then drawing a line on the page where I thought the end of the word-count would be (in the days when we had to hand write papers). No wonder my undergraduate degree is fairly average. 


In new music news at HQ Woozle, I recently took delivery of the new album from Melbourne band, Galaxy. I've probably written about them before, but, to refresh your memory, they are a metal band that sound a bit like Mercyful Fate crossed with 80s Black Sabbath or Ozzy. It's really good stuff but the vocal delivery will be quite polarising I imagine. The record came on green vinyl and also in the sleeve was a poster, sticker, download card and a patch for my jacket. THAT'S how you keep fans happy. 

Galaxy – Bright Stars - https://youtu.be/LDqhx0mNdaM

The 1979 No Nukes concert set from Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band has finally been released. You get thirteen tracks and the whole lot clocks in at just about an hour and a half. I can't find a dud song; this is a killer show from a band who still sound like they had something to prove. Badlands, The River and Jungleland are definite highlights for me as is the quality of the recording. I believe there is a concert film as well; I hope so.

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band – Jungleland (live, 1979) - https://youtu.be/Ga_3OHE1n10

Melbourne's Amyl & The Sniffers have released their long player, Comfort to Me. Wow! It's like The Clash and Black Flag met the Energizer Bunny and made a record. Superb riffing, vocals so honest and raw that you feel them and lyrics that bite. Yep, it's all there. 

Amyl & The Sniffers – Security - https://youtu.be/j5DZA2NLYis

Staying with loud music for just a bit longer, KISS have released the 45th Anniversary version of their classic LP, Destroyer. This is an album full of great tracks like Detroit Rock City, God of Thunder, Beth and Do You Love Me. But it's the demo versions included that make this worth a listen because, let's face it, even casual KISS fans will know most tracks on the original record. I was surprised that God of Thunder was a Paul Stanley tune and I enjoyed some of Gene's disco tinged demos. The whole box set is really very expensive for what you get but the cool stuff is streaming at least. 

KISS – God of Thunder (Paul Stanley demo) - https://youtu.be/-ELDf6452hQ

In personal news, I have a new job. It was nice to be asked to move into this role and not to just be changing jobs because my mental health was in a pickle. I've moved sideways in the same organisation but away from client facing work. After nearly two years of that I could tell that I needed to do something else and this opportunity came along with perfect timing. I've been in the new job for two weeks now and although I'm very tired as a result, it's great. I spent years and years either being in charge or having people tell me that I should aim higher and you know what, I like being a worker bee. I'm responsible for myself and that's more than enough these days. It leaves me space in my head for music, meditation and the other things that keep me on the straight and narrow.

The Clash - Career Opportunities - https://youtu.be/MsE5NAAU39k

I was fortunate enough to be invited to be the support act for Junk Sculpture last Sunday. I'm still a bit unsure about being a solo act but it certainly makes organising a rehearsal a lot easier! On stage it's a bit confronting with just myself and the acoustic guitar. There's no hiding at all! For those interested, I played two original songs, Silence and One's Too Many. The covers I chose were Steve Earle's Jerusalem and a slightly modified version of Kris Kristofferson's 1968 demo of If You Don't Like Hank Williams. Many thanks to George and the band for allowing me to play, Sam for lyrics, and to everyone who was there and said nice things about my songs. I might do it again one day I think. 

I've spent a bit of time listening to Taylor Swift's re-recording of her album, Red. It sounds good and the songs generally hold up well with age. I'm not really all that interested in who does, or doesn't have Taylor's scarf but it has made for good press I guess. As I've said before, I like Taylor because she writes her own songs and isn't afraid to put her feelings on show. Re-recording and releasing your original albums to stick it to record companies and greedy people is pretty cool too.

Taylor Swift – Better Man (Taylor's version) - https://youtu.be/PReSQYTFvcs

My favourite new release of the last few months is one that arrived at my place last week. Warumpi Band recorded a whole lot of cover versions, and one original, way back in 1982 in the lounge room of Neil Murray's house in Papunya. A few of these tracks have surfaced before but this is the complete session. You get songs by the Stones, Chuck Berry and a whole lot of others delivered with Warumpi's own style and almost boundless energy. It's a party mix and an antidepressant all in one. 

Warumpi Band – Promised Land - https://youtu.be/AKeEt4-8cFY

I could write a lot about the new Beatles documentary series that is now rolling via Disney+. It's not a music documentary per se. It's more just a close up recording of them writing and making the Let It Be album. My main impressions are that the video quality is outstanding, the audio is great and the banter between all the Beatles is generally hilarious. This probably isn't for casual fans (well not the whole thing) but it's an interesting window into a great band.

The Beatles - Don't Let Me Down (rehearsal) - https://youtu.be/385eTo76OzA

Finally, Primal Scream. I've loved their album, GIve Out But Don't Give Up since it came out many years ago but I didn't realise that the original version wasn't released until 2018. It features the legendary Muscle Shoals rhythm section and it's just fabulous.

Primal Scream - Jailbird - https://youtu.be/nOAeg-Xrl7k

Primal Scream - Rocks - https://youtu.be/TOXON2TmS6A

I'm not sure when the next episode of this blog will be...but it will feature commentary on the new Billy Bragg album. I feel that it's a return to form for Bill but more about that later. I'll try not to wait so long before bothering you all again!

Righto, again that's more than enough to be getting on with. Let me know if any of the above songs are of interest. 

RIP Digby.

The Woozle

"I just got better, now I must get well..."
James Reyne, Red Light Avenue, 1994.


No comments:

Post a Comment