Saturday, October 9, 2021

World Wide Woozle episode #558

Good morning on what is a glorious Spring day here in Canberra.

Already this morning I've been super productive. Maybe it's the weather or perhaps just that I had to collect my groceries at 8am and I've just kept on trucking! Let's get to some music.

In 1979 Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band performed at the No Nukes Concert at Madison Square Gardens. Get ready because a ten song video is set to be released in November. Here's the first release and I hope that it gets you toe tapping and maybe up for a dance in your lounge room as it did for me. It's just fabulous to see a band having such a good time performing as well as the great sound and video quality.

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Sherry Darling - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFE78WbrZjc

License To Kill appears on Bob Dylan's 1983 album, Infidels. This week a new official video was released that was filmed back in 1983 during the recording sessions. Mark Knopfler and Alan Clark (Dire Straits) are playing as is Mick Taylor (Rolling Stones). I'm no Dylan expert and not even a big fan but I really liked this song for some reason. Bob's voice is really strong here and the lyrics are timeless.

Bob Dylan - License to Kill - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRrlFYg2QkI

I was unsure about playing the next tune. Although I really enjoyed the album and I'm a big AC/DC fan I will admit that this song isn't my favourite. But when the music video is added in I think it's very much worthy of your time (and mine). The look back through the band's history is rather cool although they don't include some of the others that did their time back in the day. This is probably as close to misty-eyed as you'll get from AC/DC.

AC/DC - Through The Mists Of Time - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7-bIFDMSFA

I've continued with the 30-day mindfulness challenge. It's pretty good and makes a difference for me. I can also see definite applications for it with my work. I'm not dashing off to find an Indian guru to teach me a better way but daily meditation seems to be a good thing.

Midnight Oil - Underwater - https://youtu.be/bDwpQehaKvk

Did we ever expect to hear from Tears for Fears again? Probably not. The story of why they started playing music again is a good read and you can get all the info here. There's a lot of water under their bridge but in the end they realised that nothing was stopping them making music except themselves. There's a new album out soon-ish and the first single has been released. If you liked Tears for Fears before then this won't disappoint. If you've never heard of them then this isn't a dreadful starting point as it's a strong track that is well produced.

Tears for Fears - The Tipping Point - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUp-ujO979U

I've left this track until the end on purpose. If you've read this blog for a while you'll have been introduced to Puddles Pity Party. I think he's a great singer and, in a world of great voices, he stands out to me. I think the clown getup is rather cool and suits what he does with covers and his originals. Puddles' latest release addresses the issue of trolling and the feral world of keyboard commandos. Seriously, if you don't like something then don't listen to it or at least be polite. Constructive criticism is OK, hating is not.

Puddles Pity Party - Driven to Tears / Black Sabbath / Police - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu8fgeyAwVU

That's it folks, smile at a stranger, pat a dog, be excellent to each other and yourselves.

The Woozle

"Here's my story, sad but true
About a girl that I once knew.
She broke my heart, I became unglued,
It all started when she called me dude..."
Scatterbrain, Don't Call Me Dude, 1990.

No comments:

Post a Comment