Friday, October 1, 2021

World Wide Woozle episode #557

Hi everyone and thanks for joining me this time around here at World Wide Woozle. If you're the person that is reading in Romania then please yell out and say hello!

Here's the playlist link for this week. Click here.

October is Mental Health Month here in Australia. Depending on which statistics you want to read either one in four, or one in five, people will experience problems with their mental health during their lifetime. It's a challenging subject but one that needs to be normalised and discussed. If your friend was taking medication to aid in pain relief from a broken leg then there's every chance that no-one would think twice about it. Mental health is completely different and it needn't be. Talk to your friends, family and colleagues - please. 

The Black Sorrows - Another Blue Day - https://youtu.be/TMAWQAZmUEw

Lux Lisbon - Scars (acoustic/live) - https://youtu.be/kTqoZfLdtLo

Ghost have a new single that comes from an album that seems to be a long, long way off. But the single is cool, and from a new Halloween film! You get the familiar spooky Ghost schtick and it really is a great track.

Ghost - Hunter's Moon - https://youtu.be/rtkaUZvMaG8

Elton John has teamed up with Stevie Wonder for the first track from the former's Lockdown Sessions album. At first I thought to myself, yep; another Elton mid-paced, well produced song. On further listening I realised the fat bass sound and then Stevie's iconic harmonica give the track something special.

Elton John with Stevie Wonder - Finish Line - https://youtu.be/dEyCVAIfiCk
 
I will freely admit that years ago I thought that the Blues Brothers were just a band made up for the film. I was wrong. And this week I noticed a release of a live gig that they'd broadcast on the radio called Real Tight! (Live San Francisco 1978 KSAN). It sounds like it was a great show and whilst I can't find any of it on YouTube just yet, this will give you an idea of what it's all about....wait through the band intros for Matt, Steve and Duck to get into the music because it's so groovy!

The Blues Brothers - B Movie Box Car Blues (live 1978) - https://youtu.be/ythpz9KrLm0

DJ EmJay sent me through a few recommendations a while ago (thank you!) and I may have lost the email for a while....but all is well because nothing is ever really gone on the internet. Firstly, here's a cover version that I really didn't expect to be all that good. Not because the band can't play or because I don't trust DJ EmJay but because covering The Beatles is heavy man...and rarely is it done well. This is cool though and Klaus sings it so well.

Scorpions - Across The Universe - https://youtu.be/ESSiufFTxJQ

The next track was also recommended and EmJay highlighted the fact that it might be her favourite song ever. A worthy choice! This is a slightly different version to the one we're all used to hearing as well; I like trying to spot the differences. 

Queen / Bowie - Under Pressure (Classic Queen Mix) - https://youtu.be/YoDh_gHDvkk

Recently I realised that I needed to return to taking better care of my own mental health. I'd let a few things slip and it showed. So, to that end I've been learning properly how to meditate and breathe. I was a bit resistant initially and thought it would be all about rainbows and incense but it's proving to be pretty good. And I've also taken a bit of a leap into journaling. Not writing about music (I do that here all the time) but making a genuine effort to write down and then reflect on how I feel, gratitude and a bit of affirmation. Again, it sounds a bit like purple kaftans and temples but it's not. The reason I'm writing about it here isn't because I want external affirmation, but it's to keep me honest about the whole thing. I have things I need to address. Thanks for indulging me!

The War On Drugs - I Don't Live Here Anymore - https://youtu.be/MVh6XTwWhMY

See you all next time....when...I'll be OUT OF QUARANTINE! Woo hoo!

Hugs,
The Woozle

"Into the great wide open
Under them skies of blue
Out in the great wide open
A rebel without a clue..."
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Into The Great Wide Open, 1991.


No comments:

Post a Comment