Tuesday, June 29, 2021

World Wide Woozle episode #548

G'day everyone. Let's rock...

Stone Sour - Gone Sovereign / Absolute Zero - https://youtu.be/kNrS-GDAEAs

That's a great song. The album is pretty rocking as well. When they wrote the chorus for Absolute Zero surely the band knew they were onto something. It's got a hook that's just huge!

As previously advertised, I've been on holiday. I was fortunate enough to spend the best part of a week at Bonny Hills (near Port Macquarie) with the McDonalds and their brand new, rather cuddly puppy! Angus came down for a couple of days as well before Covid made a mess of everything and he had to return home. Grrrrr! But, we got to go to the beach, try out float tanks, do some whale watching, eat a lot and generally hang out. After Angus had gone home I had a day to myself which included playing my guitar, reading and spending time on the beach. I walked 6km in bare feet and did a yoga session in the sand. I think I want to live at the beach. Not bad for a guy who has avoided them like the plague for many years.

Australian Crawl - Daughters of the Northern Coast - https://youtu.be/iYSN8z0x7m0

I've written before, at length, about the Adelaide band The Mark of Cain. They are one of Australia's best and fans of heavier music really should listen to them on a regular basis. I've seen them play in Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane and here in Canberra. This song seems appropriate for much of the country at the moment...

The Mark of Cain - Lockdown - https://youtu.be/mlXZqEj5Na4

Jason Isbell has a new live album recorded in 2014 with his former Drive By Truckers bandmates Mike Cooley and Patterson Hood. It's good, it's really good. This is one that I'll be getting on physical media rather than relying on streaming. Country, grungy, raw and honest. Only the whole show is on YouTube at the moment so try this link to Spotify.


I've been listening to a bit of Motown, soul and classic R&B lately. It's something about the power of a solid brass section combined with singers who sing rather than scream or wobble uncontrollably between notes that has my ear for now. Let's get back to some of the best...

Sam & Dave - Hold On (I'm Coming) live 1966 - https://youtu.be/Fowldx4hRtI

I'm sure that most of you remember Suzanne Vega's song Luka. It's a great track and maybe a little surprising that it was a hit when you listen to the lyrics (which are moving and so sad). The first time I remember hearing it wasn't by Suzanne though...it was these guys.

The Lemonheads - Luka - https://youtu.be/CW9Pv0WT2K0

Metallica has two new releases coming out soon. First is a 26 hour version of everything they ever recorded in and around the release of the black album. It's a significant financial investment and I'll really need to think about it. It's a great album...but 26 hours? The other, sort of connected, is an compilation of 53 cover versions of songs from that album. Yes, 53. It's called The Metallica Blacklist. The saving grace with that one is that all the proceeds go to a range of charities. Miley Cyrus, Elton John, Chad Smith and a few friends feature on the first single release and it's worth a listen.

Miley Cyrus and friends - Nothing Else Matters - https://youtu.be/DqoQY9bobow

Australian Netflix viewers have a real treat on offer. Divinyls live from Boggo Road Jail. This was recorded in 1993 at a gig that also included Billy Thorpe and Rose Tattoo. All the hits are played as well as a few deeper cuts. But you need to watch it to understand the power of the band and Chrissie's stage presence. The sound mix is average at best but it's still a great show.

Divinyls - Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore (live 1993) - https://youtu.be/pDuUc3So5vM

That's all folks. I've got places to be.

Wear your mask,
The Woozle

"Feel the sting of the sweat on the back of my neck
It's been way too long.
Like a ricochet I hit the stage,
Let's get it on.
I'm back in the game...."
Airbourne, Back In The Game, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment