Friday, June 4, 2021

World Wide Woozle episode #545

Welcome back everyone. 

Many thanks to those who dropped me an email or a comment via Facebook about the return of this blog. I've been on a mission to smile as much as I can this year and all of that helped a lot!

As I mentioned last time, I'm going to write a bit about wellness and mental health. If you just want the music then skip this paragraph!  About 18 months ago I became a vegetarian. I did this for a couple of reasons that may or may not have been all that sensible. Recently I reflected on this decision and the impact it has made on me. The truth is that I've been outwardly pretty healthy but it hasn't really worked all that well. So I made the decision, in consultation with my dietician, to go back to eating some meat. She calls me a flexitarian now! I doubt I'll ever be a Ted Nugent, bow-hunting carnivore but I wouldn't mind getting off the iron and B12 tablets. I've also started to vary my exercise rather than simply smashing myself on the bike most days of the week. I already feel better and I'm not missing the daily 5:30am starts! I guess I'm trying to work towards being a better, and genuinely healthy, version of myself!

Right then, it's going to be a bit of a hard rock episode this week. Sorry if that's not your bag.

Buckcherry are a great rock and roll band. They tick all the boxes for me. Solid rhythm, crunchy guitars, melody and a vocalist who sounds unique. I've watched and listened to quite a bit from Buckcherry over the years and whilst they're not breaking any new ground, they rock pretty hard and look to be having a great time to boot.

Buckcherry - Hellbound - https://youtu.be/9n6qSjfvRn0

I grew up with heavy metal and hard rock being a huge influence. AC/DC and Queen made me long to rock out on an electric guitar. 1987 was one of the best years ever for that kind of music. In this episode we're going to strap ourselves into the DeLorean that I've borrowed and head back to what was a great year for rock and roll. Can someone please give the Flux Capacitor a jiggle...?

Def Leppard had already scored a huge hit with their album Pyromania in 1983. Only Michael Jackson's Thriller kept it from the number 1 spot. It was a long wait for their next release in 1987 as the band dealt with Rick Allen, their drummer, losing an arm in a car accident. But when they returned with Hysteria it was a triumph. It's now sold over 20 million copies. Initially I didn't really like the album. I was more attracted to the raw sound of bands like Rose Tattoo as opposed to what Def Lep were playing. I remember being in hospital for a few days in 1989 and having Hysteria on cassette in my walkman. Mind blown, and the guy in the next bed stole the tape.

Def Leppard - Armageddon It - https://youtu.be/urNFQw8VIvA

Also released in 1987 was the debut long player from Guns n' Roses. This was the album that hard rock needed in the mid 80s. It was anarchic, dangerous and bristling with attitude. GNR might have become a bit of a trainwreck and now a parody of their former selves but this album is the real deal. It's sold over 30 million copies. I hate to think how many cassette copies were also dubbed off back in the day! I don't think I owned a genuine copy of Appetite for Destruction until relatively recently! It's hard to go past this mega hit and if you've seen the movie Rock Of Ages you'll easily spot where the opening sequence came from...

Guns N' Roses - Welcome To The Jungle - https://youtu.be/o1tj2zJ2Wvg

The Cult released Electric in 1987 as well. I remember buying one of the singles based purely on the cover art. The single, and the album, are very stripped back when compared to anything else released by The Cult. This is guitar, bass, drums, vocals with maximum energy and production that is reminiscent of AC/DC or the Rolling Stones . No fuss. I was fortunate enough to see The Cult play live in Sydney a couple of years ago and they were fabulous. I chose this track as it's the single I bought way back when but also because of the video clip. Look at the wall of Marshalls! And then there's Billy Duffy alternating between his Gretsch White Falcon and a Gretsch Country Club which he'd had painted black. I never played a White Falcon....one day maybe as they are worth a mint!

The Cult - Love Removal Machine - https://youtu.be/k6PgftKbQnQ

KISS are a band that people love to hate. "The makeup is a gimmick, they worship Satan, they're coming for your children, they have no talent...." Boring. KISS are the comic book heroes of the rock and roll world. As a kid I was drawn to the makeup like many of my friends. And then I started to listen. KISS had the knack of crafting catchy heavy rock that sold millions of records as well as a ton of associated merchandise. They are unashamedly a business as well as a band. In 1987 the makeup was off and they released Crazy Nights. It's not their best album but it's far from their worst. I bought it on vinyl when it was released and I still play it. And this clip was an MTV staple...how much fun would it be having a bass guitar that's also a flamethrower??

KISS - Crazy Crazy Nights - https://youtu.be/IEZhLlX4EoU

Before we finish with 1987, let's hear from Joe Satriani. Joe released Surfing With The Alien that year and it would become a seminal album. The story goes that he was offered a credit card with a few thousand dollars available so he used it to finance the record. It was a huge hit and launched him as a bonafide guitar hero. I bought the LP in Wellington in late 1987 and it's one of the few instrumental albums that I'll play from start to finish. Joe plays for Chickenfoot these days - check them out if you like this or Hagar era Van Halen.

Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien - https://youtu.be/5ZWDVhEev40

When I was finishing high school, one of my teachers told me that I shouldn't despair. He said that someday I'd find my people (or person)...people who were moved by, and loved music the way I did. It took me years to be comfortable in my own skin enjoying the heaviest metal, folk music, pop, country and classic rock but here I am. I've been fortunate to have friends who continue to introduce me to new (and old) music. I'm happy to have a mix tape (or playlist these days) that includes a wide range of genres, some bagpipes and more! I get that not everyone will share my musical taste and that's OK. But thanks for listening. Here's a mixtape for you...

John Denver - Annie's Song - https://youtu.be/TyJRsp5t9mA

Kylie - Say Something - https://youtu.be/KMt8NbndXCo

The Chicks - Goodbye Earl (live) - https://youtu.be/MI7nWklQwrg

Johnny Cash - The One On The Right Is On The Left - https://youtu.be/sP6Qo5YCE4Y

Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name - https://youtu.be/71TJitXU8Z0

Dropkick Murphys - The Spicy McHaggis Jig - https://youtu.be/l8sFdW5h4C0

Wang Chung - Let's Go - https://youtu.be/pJNazEjVd6Y

That's it folks. Keep smiling,

The Woozle

"I'd studied your cartoons, radio, music, TV, movies, magazines
Richard said, "Withdrawal in disgust is not the same as apathy"
A smile like the cartoon, tooth for a tooth
You said that irony was the shackles of youth..."

No comments:

Post a Comment